PDA

View Full Version : Android version feedback

Peter
March 30th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Please report what device(s) you've tried it on ( brand + model + Android version ) and results.

Thanks for your attention.

PS. Everyone with alpha testing access should have gotten their download link. If you haven't, please contact me to get yours.

Known verified issues (2015-04-10, Alpha 4):

Doesn't run on early IceCreamSandwidth devices (Android 4.0), PENDING

Lethal_Logan
March 30th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Tested briefly on:

Google Nexus 5 Android 5.1 build LMY47I
Google Nexus 7 (2013 wifi) Android 5.0.2 build LRX22G

I was able to playback m4a, mp3 and flac files fine.
Embedded album art was displaying.
Nice work!

Problems:
The "previous track" button on the playing screen does not go back to the previous played track. It seems to just pause/play the track and is possibly no different to the pause/play button.

I can reproduce a crash on both devices.

1. View list of songs to play (by album or title or whatever) and select last song in list. Song should start playing.
2. Now press the "next track" button (can be from playing screen or tools screen) and it should skip to an empty song/no song. Keep on pressing the next button and soon Foobar will crash.

This also works the other way to. You can try going to previous song from the first track in list and eventually it will crash. I had to use the "previous" button in the tools menu because as mentioned earlier, the "previous track" button on the play screen seems to just pause/play.

kagami
March 30th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Test device:
Google Nexus 6 (Android 5.0.1)

Playback works with AAC, ALAC, mp3, Ogg Vorbis, Opus, and AIFF. Other codecs were not tested...
Album art displays correctly in the Browse and Playback pages.
ReplayGain info seems to be utilized as well.

Issues encountered:
The 'Previous' button in the Playback page is not working properly, it acts like the 'Play/Pause' button.
Scrolling through the Browse page feels slow/unresponsive whenever a lot of album art has to load in (Audio playback seems unaffected while all that loading is happening)

toxicafunk
March 31st, 2015, 06:21 AM
Sony Xperia Z (Android 4.4.4)

So far I“ve tested mp3, flac and ogg.

The app crashed after installing but now it seems to work fine and haven't been able to reproduce the crash yet.

EDIT: Sometimes it crashes then I switch songs while Playing. Haven't figured out the pattern yet.

Thanks for your work!!!

Peter
April 1st, 2015, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Alpha 2 with massive improvements (stability and usability) will be out sometime Friday.

Peter
April 3rd, 2015, 11:17 AM
Alpha 2 out.
Known stability issues have been fixed.
It can now do almost everything that iOS version can, other than UPnP downloading (soon).
Have fun with it.

Lethal_Logan
April 3rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Test of Alpha 2

Devices:
Google Nexus 5 Android 5.1 build LMY47I
Google Nexus 7 (2013 wifi) Android 5.0.2 build LRX22G

Can confirm that scrolling through lists is much smoother now. However, the UI is even more unresponsive now when generating thumbnails for album art. After thumbnails are generated then it is ok. Browsing by "Title" does not display thumbnails so the UI does not lag. But browsing by "Album Artist / Album", "Album" or even "Year" display thumbnails so the UI will lag while generating thumbnails.

I stripped the album art from all my songs, cleared the app data and now the lists that used to lag no longer lag. Oddly browsing by "Albums" and some other lists seems to display empty placeholder thumbnails for some songs, while most of the other songs have no sign of thumbnails at all. This also affects some of the "Advanced Search" lists.

Also I can still crash the app by mashing "next track" button on the last track in a list or "previous track" button on first track in a list.

kagami
April 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM

ReplayGain settings work.
DSPs probably all work. I only tested 3 of them (Advanced Limiter, Downmix to mono, and Downmix to stereo) and those definitely work. For fun I did try turning them all on at once with music playing and the app didn't break. :)

Scrolling through the albums indexed in the media library is smooth once all the album art is loaded in.
Browsing for songs through the filesystem is very slow! The folder icon is not displaying next to each of the folders consistently either.

Also, while browsing through the media library the lists inside of each category might display (index?) numbers instead of whatever the appropriate entries should be. I can get this to occur when I:

1. Browse inside a media library category (Example: Browse > Album > [All Albums])
2. Without going back to the root level of the Browse page, go into "Tools > Media Library" and then add another folder with more song files to track.
3. Go back to the Browse page. The list of albums looks normal so far, but...
4. Back out to the root level of Browse and go into the Album category again and... the list of what should be album titles is now a list of seemingly random numbers (each with songs inside).

That problem above seems to fix itself with a force-quit and restart of the app.

kagami
April 10th, 2015, 10:45 PM

OMG, browsing scroll performance is now overall much smoother!
Other than that, not much else to report. It seems pretty stable now.

Lethal_Logan
April 21st, 2015, 06:00 AM
Device: Google Nexus 5 Android 5.1 build LMY47I

I can confirm Kagami's observations. As of alpha 3, the thumbnail generation is very fast and scrolling at the same time is much smoother.

However, the weird index number thing that Kagami previously reported currently still affects alpha 4.

kagami
April 28th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Google Nexus 6 (Android 5.1)
Google Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi (Android 4.4.4)

Dark theme looks nice!

The playback controls do show up in the notifications, but do not show up when on the lock screen.
There also should be a more convenient way to remove the notification entry when the app will not be used for quite a while.

Would also be nice to be able to hide any unused DSPs, not just reorder them.

k792248
April 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
How can I receive the test software?
Android????

Barough
May 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Have tested Alpha 5 now on my Galaxy S5 for a couple of days and in general so does it work rather ok except for crashing a couple of times.

Spectrum
May 11th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Galaxy S5 (5.0.1) and Galaxy Tab S (4.4.4), alpha 6
No problems so far, and its working with simple last.fm and musixmatch now. I can use this as a daily driver now.

kagami
May 15th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Alpha 7:

Google Nexus 6 (Android 5.1)

Still no playback controls show up in lock screen for Lollipop (5.X) but...

--------
Google Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi (Android 4.4.4)

The controls do show up and work in lock screen for KitKat (4.4)!

PinothyJ
June 1st, 2015, 01:45 AM
Sony Xperia Arc S. 4.0.4
When receiving an SMS the notification will crash Foobar2000. The SMS program used is GoSMS (have not tested with vanilla SMS handler). The client actually keeps going but as soon as you press the OK on screen acknowledging the crash, it dies for good.

psyscott
July 27th, 2015, 04:33 PM
How can I receive the test software?
Android????
Same question here, which I've also asked in a private message: Can I still get the Alpha Android version?
I would like to try it & test it on a Galaxy, and offer feedback. I just joined by contributing. Is development ongoing? Has anything happened lately? Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any recent posts. Is this project dead or alive?
Thanks.

spoon
July 28th, 2015, 04:53 AM
It is very much alive:

http://mobile.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?64-Development-blog

Efforts are going into the Windows Phone version currently. It is not possible to sign up for Android alpha, the next stage you could join is the beta testing.

JegFolay
September 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Troubles with the Alpha15 release !

Actually it doesn't show any screen on my Galaxy Note 2 (Android 4.4.2).
More precisely it launches something with the FB2K logo but it closes just after that.

I tried it a couple of times, after restart or shutdown but still nothing useable. I switched back to Alpha14 (perfectly working).

Peter
September 16th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Indeed there are some known regressions in the latest build. You can can still get the older alpha on Android. The next build will be out on Friday, and will address most of what broke.

JegFolay
September 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM
FWIW, the alpha 16 version solved my issue. Thanks for the quick update !

kwanbis
February 16th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Just installed it. Gonna try it tomorrow. So far so good. Simple.

One comment. At first I was not able to install the APK. The problem turned out to be a "F.lux"-like application that lowers my screen.

Seems fb2k has some kind of minimum brightness. The application is actually called Twilight.

kwanbis
February 17th, 2016, 07:44 PM
So far wonderful interface. SIMPLE. I love it.

Only thing is, I would like that with the screen locked, y press and hold the volume buttons, the songs skip to the next or previous one, a la poweramp.

kwanbis
February 18th, 2016, 09:45 PM
I just cheked and you can change songs and volume. The difference is that dbpoweramp shows you that on the screen when locked, while fb2k not. That would be nice.

Lebesgue
February 20th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Is there a way to disable the on-screen overlay? It won't go away which is really aggravating when I'm driving and am trying to see Google Maps.

Azsendi
February 25th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Device: Huawei Nexus 6P
Android Version: 6.0.1 build MMB29Q

Problem: Tapping the Shuffle All Tracks folder does not shuffle the music. Same thing for Shuffle All Albums.

Seymour
February 25th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Problem: Tapping the Shuffle All Tracks folder does not shuffle the music. Same thing for Shuffle All Albums.I noticed something the same at my WP8.1-branch latest version. But considering the words:
Playback order options will be added at some point, on all platforms.then I decided not to make attention to it.

Azsendi
February 25th, 2016, 11:31 PM
I noticed something the same at my WP8.1-branch latest version. But considering the words:then I decided not to make attention to it.

Ahh, I did not see that. I just saw that since it was in the menu, it should work... I should read more before I assume bugs. :) Thanks.

Seymour
February 26th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Ahh, I did not see that. I just saw that since it was in the menu, it should work... I should read more before I assume bugs. :) Thanks.I think it's all right to inform programmer about some bugs. Another matter is in how the programmer is going to evolve his product. =)

"To do" list would make good understanding and be very much appreciated!

Azsendi
February 26th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Apparently, if you go to Shuffle All Tracks, then click Music on Internal Storage, and back to Shuffle All Tracks, the music gets shuffled. So that's a temp. workaround to that problem.

Seymour
February 26th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Apparently, if you go to Shuffle All Tracks, then click Music on Internal Storage, and back to Shuffle All Tracks, the music gets shuffled. So that's a temp. workaround to that problem.Hi, did you update foobar2000 to the latest version (1.0.11 beta)?
Version 1.0.11 for all platforms coming up.
Changes:

New folder icons in browse view.
Fixed shuffle albums vs shuffle tracks reusing each other's playlist instead of creating new ones.
Made re-opening a shuffle view actually re-shuffle tracks (but not when restarting app / restoring previous view).
Bug-fixed image downscaling code, various visual glitches in skined playback view should be gone.

Azsendi
February 26th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Hi, did you update foobar2000 to the latest version (1.0.11 beta)?

Nope. I am still on Version 1.0.8, but I'm going to update it now. :)

Azsendi
March 4th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Hmmn, there shpuld be a feature where you could just play that one song and end, loop the song, and loop the album (with or without) shuffle. I feel like that would be useful as the player just has play/pause, and prev/next track buttons.

arbingordon
March 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Not sure where else to put this, but as a beta android supporter, are there any plans for a customizable library browser like with foobar2000 on the PC? (I'm referring to the media library -> album list option available on PC)

cornishman
March 27th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Tried on HTC M8 (6.0) and Hudl2 (5.1). Works well - no issues with playback, control or navigation. Playing gapless mp3 files from SD card with replay gain info works as expected.
The library presentation and management is perfect for me. The customisation options are just right. I can't think of anything missing. I tried the DSP options which were interesting, but I only use the replay gain one. Skip Silence would be the one with most interest to me.
The navigation to/from the playback control page is not ideal, needing to go through the settings or navigating the library to return is a bit cumbersome. Menu pulldown swipe is really handy. The album cover swipe return to the previous item is a bit redundant as the return button is on the same screen and does the same job. Could a swipe up or down act as previous or next album?
UPnP operation is simple and reliable. Very fast response and navigation.
The only minor issues I've noticed is that the library update and tracking when files change is unpredictable (does foobar need to be running or not?) and slight errors in library covers presented on Album Artist / Album view. Please note, these are very minor and don't detract from the program's operation.
Excellent work. Well done.

rhintintin
May 8th, 2016, 04:12 AM
Do you still need Alpha testers?

I work as a software tester and I'm a long time foobar user. I'd be happy to muck in. I can test on a z5 compact and a Kindle Fire

Cheers

frostraven13
May 8th, 2016, 05:32 AM
can i join test ? been looking to use this player since a long time

Dabombber
May 8th, 2016, 10:39 PM
The Android version will be available for open beta soon, watch this space (http://foobar2000.com/get-android).

pljones
May 9th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I just grabbed the preview from the Store. There's a repeatable crash:
Install on Nexus 7 (Android 6.01, not rooted)
Open a UPnP server (minidlna in this case)
Select Genre
Select an album
Go into tools
Select context menu

"Unfortunately, foobar2000 has stopped working."

The only setting I'd changed was ReplayGain to use Gain + peak.
I've done a report with the logs.

pljones
May 9th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Ignoring the above and just getting on and playing, I got reasonably good performance - I've not done a like for like comparison yet, so I'm not going to be concerned over the couple of glitches I got, could have been network related as it was all UPnP over wifi. I'd would like more UPnP features in the basic player (play count for UPnP files, local indexing of UPnP files, sort by tags for UPnP files, etc), though. I'd then love to have Album List / Library Viewer Selection, which is how I most use the desktop version (and I'd be happy for that to be a premium feature).

jbond
May 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM
hello developers

I have just installed the foobar 2000 mobile on my smartphone LG G pro (android 4.4.2), and tried to set the resampler rate to 88.2kHz and 96kHz. However, no sound at all. I have tried all other resampler rates 48kHz and below and all works perfectly.

zeremy
May 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Created a skin based on spoon's SpoonTestSkin.zip and the fbskin file is recognized and loaded.
When trying to play a song though ,the app crashes on the "Loading skin".

Uploaded the skin here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/moyyy9uoyuf5cwp/TestSkin_1.rar?dl=0

Tested on two different android phones.
Using latest Skin Designer.

JosepMa
May 10th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Version 1.0.20 lite ARM 32bit.

Used it this afternoon as my player and overall it works well.

I also found a way to get random tracks of a genre by loading a track of that genre, and then going to the "..." button and select "more from genre". Then, on that screen one can select random tracks and "voilą", random tracks from a genre playing nicely.

As from things that could be improved:
- When using the "shuffle tracks" option, only the title of the track is shown. Artist is missing. "All tracks" or "shufle albums" show both title and artist.
- The entry "bits" only shows lossless tracks. (concretely, a lonely wav file that i have in there).
- The problem i reported earlier where one cannot select tracks that don't belong to an albun in the genre list. I wonder if there should exist an "Unknown album" entry or something...
- Since I have many single files, I have several folders for genres where i put all the tracks. Back in the day, Windows Media player added artwork for some of them with the typical folder.jpg and those albumArt files. Due to this, many files appear with the wrong images (this is to be expected and is not a fault of foobar), but foobar2000 mobile, when it has artwork, only shows the artwork and not the name, so sometimes I have to enter into each entry to find out what album is that one supposed to be. Right now my (logical) option is to delete these useless images, but i didn't have the need until now.

Joesyr
May 10th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Version 1.0.20 lite ARM 32bit, installed on Moto G (XT1045), android v4.4.4.

Crash report : Start any music playback->Tools->Context menu:last active view->Crash. Happens every time.

Bug: For Tools-> Replaygain Use->Source mode: "Track" (of None/Track/Album) is always displayed as selected (checkmark) when entering the deepest submenu, regardless of which option is indicated as active by the blue text on the next level up. The Processing submenu, by comparison, behaves as expected.

Performance issue: Start playback->Pause playback->Multitask to an app that uses sufficient memory (e.g. open a few tabs in a browser)-> The fb2k persistent notification becomes inert; the playback control and close buttons do not function, the notification cannot be swiped away. Re-launching the app resumes normal behavior. If multitasking uses sufficient memory while music playback is active, the app will be more thoroughly killed, playback stops and the notification auto-closes.

That last one is probably not something the app can address; it's been standard behavior on this device for background activities during multitasking. It's my understanding that the same model saw improvements to this on android 5.1, but apparently I picked the one carrier that was going to prevent software updates from ever happening (in my defense it was like, a crazy good deal at the time but, lesson learned). Just thought I'd report it in case there's any sort of super-high priority the app can declare to the memory management that might make it play nicer on low-ram devices.

goodiesguy
May 11th, 2016, 01:16 AM
I'm liking it! very fast. I'd love repeat and Shuffle buttons along with the forward and back though, and does anyone know if and how to add DSP's? (like the components on the Windows version eg: "Center cut".)

iove
May 11th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Show non-audio files in folders Clear&*65292;open xxx.url,boooooom-.-

pljones
May 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM
How long should "Looking for skins" take for user skins? Any chance of some form of progress display?

goodiesguy
May 11th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Sound is very quiet, like at max volume it's about the same volume as when I have Android Winamp on half volume.

Jaiim
May 12th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Really liking the Android version so far. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized the video game formats were playing properly out of the box (they aren't listed on the Android page with the other formats) and I didn't have to screw around with plugins. My main complaints at the moment are that the "now playing" screen is a bit lacking (I'd like to see the ability to display the filetype and possibly other information in the future) and the fact that the album browser is breaking up albums by artist for some odd reason. For example, if there are tracks by two different artists in an album it'll show the the album cover twice and have the songs by each artist separate with no way of knowing which tracks are where until you check them all. It's extremely annoying for albums that have many different artists since you need to go hunting around through several identical icons to find the tracks you want.

Anyway, glad to see this finally materialized; Android's been in need of a good free music player.

spoon
May 12th, 2016, 04:25 AM
I have closed this thread as too many issues are being posted to it, please if you have an issue create a new thread (for each issue) in the support forum.