PDA

View Full Version : GUIDE: Transfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wi-fi with UPnP

Peter
September 22nd, 2015, 04:23 AM
Note, as for foobar2000 mobile 1.0.50 beta, the built-in FTP server makes these things much easier. If you're running the newest beta, you should probably look into FTP functionality first.

How to trasnfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wifi / UPnP
Compatible with: all versions of foobar2000 mobile.
Particularly relevant to iOS version as it lets you transfer media without using iTunes.

Step 1: install one of supported UPnP music servers

foo_upnp: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp
Asset UPnP: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Step 2: In your foobar2000 mobile, browse "UPnP media servers"

Step 3: Locate the album you wish to download to your device
Or a whole larger folder, such as whole artist. Careful with transferring too much at once - see notes at the bottom about long-running transfers.

Step 4: Tap-hold the folder, choose 'Download'
https://www.foobar2000.org/images/upnp/guide-upnp-1.jpg https://www.foobar2000.org/images/upnp/guide-upnp-2.jpg https://www.foobar2000.org/images/upnp/guide-upnp-3.jpg

Step 5: Choose download options
Some UPnP servers serve content in multiple formats, you will typically want to download in original format such as MP3.
On Android you may also choose the target location.

Step 6: Download
Note that downloading lots of content may upset your phone's power management.
iOS: Keeping audio playing while transferring will keep iOS from shutting us down.
Android: It Just Works (tm), no special workarounds necessary.
Windows Phone: The most restrictive of all systems, our transfer gets suspended if foobar2000 app loses focus ( another app becomes active or the device becomes locked ). We're hoping to improve this in future updates.

Once completed, a library rescan pass will be initiated automatically.

randal1013
September 23rd, 2015, 06:25 AM
this is great news!

question: will the transfer ignore duplicate songs?

kaum
September 23rd, 2015, 07:41 AM
works for me on WP8.1 (Lumia 925)
I have Asset (5.2 beta) installed. While browsing foobar mobile 1.1 shows my computer and users and I can select and download music as intended. But I have one question: When browsing the music via my AVR (Yamaha RX-V479) or TV (Samsung), I get an additional option that I can browse the music over Asset on my computer and over my computer's username - this is missing here on my phone - is that intended?

P.S.: I see now that this looks like to be an Asset 5.2 beta problem as also now my Yamaha is not showing it although Asset runs

Peter
September 24th, 2015, 04:58 AM
this is great news!

question: will the transfer ignore duplicate songs?It's been preconfigured to disregard Asset's [All <something>] folders if that's what you want it to skip. Other than that, nope it does not skip duplicates yet.

We need to come up with a better syncing scheme than this eventually.

playhouse
September 25th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I don't think this feature is particularly useful just yet. I might as well share my music folder on my desktop (via SMB/CIFS or the like) and use a file manager to download to my mobile device. That's probably faster and less error-prone than setting up foobar and uPnP.

So I'm glad to read this:

We need to come up with a better syncing scheme than this eventually.

What I think is desirable is the following. Set certain playlists in foobar (desktop) for syncing to the mobile device. I can specify conversion setting according to which the lossless audio files in those playlists can be converted prior to transferring them to the mobile device. (There should probably be an option to leave lossy files as-is.) Then, foobar2000 transfers the converted files over to the smartphones as well as the playlists.

This should ideally work manually (push a botton in foobar mobile to start the process) as well as according to some time table (of course, the automatic sync only starts if both devices are in the same local network and foobar is active on both devices).

I'd like to see an option which gives a warning (or stops the sync) when the file size of the audio on the smartphone (or the size of the transfer) exceeds some limit.

IMO, that would be a solid syncing solution similar to what I've seen in competing products. Of course, icing on the cake would be certain bi-directional syncing features. E.g., when I play a file on my mobile device, the play count in foobar desktop in incremented during the next sync. Or there's a option to copy files purchased on the mobile device onto the desktop.

kaum
September 25th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I don't think this feature is particularly useful just yet. I might as well share my music folder on my desktop (via SMB/CIFS or the like) and use a file manager to download to my mobile device. That's probably faster and less error-prone than setting up foobar and uPnP.

I disagree with this. As I am running Asset anyway, I think this is a great option for me. And I think you do not even need Foobar and Asset for it - as I got access to my computer music over the Windows 10 streaming option anyway.

I support your other suggestions.

JayNYC
June 30th, 2016, 02:50 AM
This feature is fantastic!! Thank you so much. Wow. This is the easiest, most painless way I have ever experienced transferring a Foobar desktop playlist to a mobile device.
Thank you again.

phibercrack
July 1st, 2016, 04:47 AM
really fantastic feature!! thx for that.

will there be a possibility to also write data to an external sd-card on an android 6.0.1 mobile?
at the moment i always get "denied"

when i choose the internal storage everything is fine.
i do have a small internal storage but a very huge sd-card, so i would like to use the sd-card for foobar-music

or do i miss something to allow foobar write-access to the external sd-card?

Solelycodes
July 9th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Thank you so much, I finally can forget about Itunes, plus I can play all my Flacs on Iphone. This works great. The only thing I should mention is that I was not abble to download any track straight from the media library but had instead to download a playlist that was loaded on my computer's foobar (I hope I am expressing myself properly). Anyway I am sure this will get ever better. Thanks again.

Dorstlesser
July 11th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Hi, my Foobar Mobile is not detecting my upnp server. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Running the latest versions on Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1.

spoon
July 11th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Which upnp server are you using?

Coolhand
July 19th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Well this is pretty darn cool and handy, however I have one major issue !
It downloads from Asset to my iPhone 6 exceptionally quickly, but the files downloaded using this method ONLY appear in Foobar2000 ?

When I open the Apple Music app, or the Onkyo HF Player app they can't locate the files..... so where are they parked such that Foobar2000 sees and plays them but none of my other music players can see or play them ?

All other local music which has been put on my phone via iTunes is accessible with ALL of the above players, it's just that the Foobar2000 downloaded music files appear to be exclusively available to Foobar2000.

If this is not an due to my misunderstanding, it is my primary request to make these Foobar2000 downloaded files accessible by ALL music playback apps on the iPhone ;-)

Coolhand
July 20th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Well with some further exploration of this incredibly cool app I found that the music which is downloaded using it, resides within the Documents folder, Doh !!!
One can enter the Media Library menu to select whether Foobar2000 accesses either/or your iTunes Library or its Documents folder.

My girlfriend pointed out a positive benefit of having a separated Foobar2000 Documents folder for music... by having the music directories separated ensures that when a user tools around with their iTunes updates of music, and it deletes music already on your iPhone (as it does by default when adding new music)... then you wont inadvertently delete music as the music contained within the Foobar2000 Documents folder is completely separate from that of the iTunes files structure.

So what I would like to propose then, in order to keep this functionality whilst adding even more flexibility, is for the developers to add an additional option to the Media Library menu whereby the user can select "Copy or Move to iTunes Library" for any tracks or albums which are in the Documents folder.
This would allow the user to selectively copy or move tracks or albums into the iTunes library, which will then allow other applications such as the previously mentioned Apple Music App, or Onkyo HF Player etc... to also have access to music which has been downloaded from within the Foobar2000 app.

This would be the best of both worlds in my opinion, as I would like the most flexibility of access to my music and the above scenario expands upon the current limitations without sacrificing any inherent functionality.

TechProDad
July 26th, 2016, 03:12 AM
I'm using F2K on windows 10 Mobile. I agree that there should be a way to specify where my music is, i.e. tell F2K which directory I want to be my foobar directory.

I've loaded Gigs of music on my SD card and just want F2K to find it wherever I put it, by telling it the directory I want it to look in.

Thanks!

Dorstlesser
July 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Foobar2000. But I got it fixed!

vanhoivanbinh
July 29th, 2016, 12:28 AM
This method works but the problem is it does not download the ARTIST Tag.
Even I have adjust the tag in UPNP server to %artist% but no resutls
The file only sync tittle, and artist field is unknown

slyman
October 27th, 2016, 07:55 PM
newest update for android seems to have made the local option disappear. When I'm home it's much quicker to go through the local network.

edit: ...nm popped up after a half hour... Weird

alicia78
January 4th, 2017, 06:36 AM
This App looks like a quite prominent option to transfer content (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartio&hl=en) like music from servers, saves a lot of time.

desechable
March 1st, 2017, 07:25 PM
What about transfering or streaming music to a mobile device outside the UPnP server network? I've been messing around with the "Internet access" settings of the BubbleUPnP plugin to no avail.

randal1013
April 12th, 2017, 05:30 PM
How do I delete files that I've transferred? I can't find the "/data/user/0/" folder. I can find a "com.foobar2000.foobar2000" folder, but it doesn't have the "/data/Music/" folders within it. I also can't delete files or folders from within the foobar app.

Peter
April 13th, 2017, 06:54 AM
I recommend using the new FTP server feature instead, it allows you to use any FTP client app (including plain Windows Explorer) to manipulate your foobar2000 mobile library.

randal1013
April 13th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Ah, that works quite easily, thank you.

$h0gz
October 8th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Hello Peter. Amazing program so far- first of all. Anyway, can you explain further how I'd se this "FTP" feature?? I have music on my desktop using the latest Foobar2000 (v1.3.16) and the latest mobile app. I followed the UPNP server instructions when trying to Download my playlist but it keeps stating: "Object not found". Please assist, I'm trying to find a seamless way to transfer my playlist specifically to my phone and completely leave the Itunes "Hemisphere" once and for all. Thanks.

JayNYC
August 19th, 2018, 11:25 AM
@Peter is this feature currently supported or has it been deprecated? There are benefits to this method vs FTP. Thanks.