PDA

View Full Version : WP8.1 version feedback

kaum
September 23rd, 2015, 07:45 AM
I want to start a new thread for all alpha testers on WP8.1.
My first quick check is that all I need works. The UI is a little bit confusing as it is not every time clear where in the Tools or browse level I am - and suddenly press back and the app closes - as I do not know that I am on the highest level...

More testing will be done tonight - family time now...

kaum
September 23rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
I might miss and overlook something, but how can I create or use playlists?

spoon
September 24th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Playlists are not currently implemented.

Seymour
October 3rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Hi,
I've installed newest (1.1.2) version recently and was eager to use it right away. But playback from any source I tried (url-streams and locally a couple of file types) is repeatedly interrupted almost every one second, with some scattering-like distortion. It's like there is not enough hardware resources to play it smoothly.
My platform is:
Phone Prestigio MultiPhone 8500 Duo
OS Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8212 Snapdragon 200
CPU Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
GPU Adreno 302

kaum
October 5th, 2015, 01:33 PM
One issue, one suggestion:
1. I have one album named Physical Graffiti, CD2 - on my machine (1.1.2) only Physical Graffiti, appears the CD2 is missing

2. If I go to Browse down to album level, I can still search - does that make sense - is anyone searching on that level? As the search button looks ugly and takes space, I would suggest to skip that on the lowest browse level... But it might be that I do not see a use case that is really useful...
P.S.: Okay, I found a use case myself...
But on my Lumia 925 the keyboard takes nearly half of the screen and I only see the first line of the (live) results - I guess this will be dealt with in a polished version...

Peter
October 6th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding "CD2" disappearing
It's a side effect of an experimental feature added last week - convert "Disc 2", "CD2" etc to discnumber tags. Similar feature has been around for years in my other less known player (http://perkele.cc/software/boom). I will make this behavior opt-in.

kaum
October 6th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Hi Peter, no problem with the feature, but the comma remains and so there are still two albums... If only one album is seen, then it would be less of a problem...
So I see at the moment "Physical Graffiti" and "Physical Graffiti," - so if only "Physical Graffiti" with all songs would appear that would be even a great improvement...

kaum
October 7th, 2015, 10:12 AM
A positive experience today (but might be OS specific): If I unplug my mobile from the car hifi, foobar pauses playback - very nice feature...

Peter
October 9th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Re: Disc number handling.
Further fixes have been added so suffix of ", CD2" gets entirely stripped when extracting disc number tag.
Disc number extraction has been made an opt-in feature as it may be undesired in certain scenarios.

Re: Audio stuttering.
Confirmed on Lumia 640 XL. A fix is being tested an will be made available as soon as I'm confident it works as it should.

kaum
October 9th, 2015, 04:13 AM
Hi Peter, great news...

yesterday I had a problem that foobar has not found the files - although I played it a few minutes earlier - it was the same album - I could not reproduce it yet.
My guess is that it might have to do with the indexing...

When waking foobar up again, then the browse screen is the first; wouldn't it be better to start with the playing screen - so different start up - starting first time browse - starting from memory playing..

Peter
October 9th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Version 1.1.3 has been submitted, it should show up tomorrow.
Two major issues: audio stuttering and crash on resume background have been fixed.

kaum
October 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Hi Peter,
got the 1.1.4 right now - the "Physical Graffiti," bug is still present
hence I do have two albums "Physical Graffiti" and Physical Graffiti," aka Physical Graffiti, CD 2

kaum
October 24th, 2015, 05:35 AM
My comma problem is solved when I activate the "auto disc number from album title" option. So it looks like I lost the CD 2 part when transferring from computer to mobile in the pre Foobar mobile era...

P.S.: Oh, no, I retested it now and it seems to work as expected now... So ", CD 2" is displayed correctly now when reindexed after option is removed.

But something else: When I do turn this option on and browse to an album, then I do see all songs with their album number but I do have two 1, 2 and so forth. I do remember that I saw once a 1.1 and 2.1 numbering wouldn't that be a good solution...

kaum
October 24th, 2015, 06:15 AM
How do I get access to the foobar music folder? I tried it over Windows Explorer and the files app of WP 8.1? I would like to delete some files I downloaded with foobar...

Bytheway, would be nice if Foobar would not offer another download of the files after they were just downloaded.

Peter
October 27th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Downloaded stuff can be deleted from within the foobar2000 application.
Open "foobar2000 music folder" from the root list in "Browse"; all items within it can be renamed and deleted by tap-hold context menu.

Seymour
December 21st, 2015, 02:48 PM
OK, enough music, let's play some letters. =)
Some enhancements are still pending:
- local (Russian) characters support in tags;
- "Playing" screen: long touch pause sign stops playing track, but when my finger is raised, the track goes on from its beginning (way to get around this is to slide from a pause button (for example down) instead of just raising a finger);
- if ReplayGain scanner is unable to scan some tracks, there is no info telling why (checked a console also).
- Tools>Advanced Preferences>Image cache... The string font size is too big, overall size is hidden under the "Clear" button.
- is there no tone generator? I like it, for example to test aliasing with different sample rates (whether to use Resample DSP or no).
- "Play location..." has no history. List with at least 3-5 last addresses is preferable.

pljones
December 21st, 2015, 04:49 PM
Some enhancements are still pending:Nice :)

Seymour
December 21st, 2015, 10:42 PM
I just didn't tell anybody about my wants. But they're still remain.
I'm not in the developers team of this software. But now my bad English and misunderstanding are making these enhancements inevitable. Either way, users will say: Hey, it was in the pending list! X-D

Seymour
February 13th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Well, in spite of the vast of absurdity produced by microsoft (I'm almost gone being respectful to this company), Peter have stoically produced another version of my lovely player!
The first moment: I hate MS for being unable to revert to previous version(s).

I've updated my foobar2000 a day ago,
And now comes some feedback:
- interface behavior have changed, but swiping-from-side-to-side-like mode switching is more likely than trying to aim at one of three tiny buttons in the corner of the screen;
- during the internet-stream (Nectarine Demoscene Radio) playback it does not show composition titles (in december's version it did, at least at the playback screen);
- IMHO it's better to move "Play location..." option from "Tools" to "Browse" screen;
- "Play Location" screen now has location input field almost unreadable because of discordant character and background colors (regards to black skin, in white it's ok);
- console still doesn't show ReplayGain data scan result/errors (a part of my tracks are unable to pass the scan for some reason);
- fonts are too small here and there, for instance "ReplayGain Use" Preamp values in dB.

Is user allowed to modify skins? Some of my notes are easy to correct via skin editing.

The last moment: is windows-version still under development? or it's time for us to move on android/ios? =)

Seymour
February 13th, 2016, 01:51 AM
After closing another application in system manager and return to foobar2k player there was empty black screen (Playback screen, music was going on), touched "Back" button -> "Tools" screen, then back to "Playback" - it's ok. Unable to reconstruct this situation yet.

Seymour
February 13th, 2016, 03:58 AM
After I go "Browse"-> "Playback", upper half of seekbar ciphers (minutes:seconds) is hardly but noticeable "stretching/jumping" up-down while playing. Looks funny.

kaum
February 13th, 2016, 04:43 AM
After closing another application in system manager and return to foobar2k player there was empty black screen (Playback screen, music was going on), touched "Back" button -> "Tools" screen, then back to "Playback" - it's ok. Unable to reconstruct this situation yet.

I cannot replicate that with W10M 10586.29 (latest official build) on L950 (latest firmware).

PS: will do more extensive testing tonight.

kaum
February 13th, 2016, 04:48 AM
(...)

I've updated my foobar2000 a day ago,
And now comes some feedback:
- interface behavior have changed, but swiping-from-side-to-side-like mode switching is more likely than trying to aim at one of three tiny buttons in the corner of the screen;
(...)

I got my update fairly soon after Peter announced it (10pm in the evening).

For me the design change is also disturbing - I liked the opportunity to swipe to the other areas like playback and tools.

kaum
February 13th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Another question should we separate the WP8.1 and the W10M development threads?

Seymour
February 13th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I cannot replicate that with W10M 10586.29 (latest official build) on L950 (latest firmware).Just now tried and did it again. Started playback (Playback screen), went to desktop, started windows alarms app, then went home (desktop), then longtap on "back" button, then did swipe down to close alarms application, tap on foobar app. Empty black (skin background) screen, only status icons and clock on top of it. Music goes on. Waited until the screen is off, unlocked the smartphone, "Resume..." and again black screen. Music is playing stable (since December version it's the most durable part of program. ;-) Separate thread rulezzz. ). Multiple "Home"->"Back" (black screen), and again with the same result. Then tap "Back" to "Browse" part and back to "Playback" screen - ok, everything's on its place.

Sorry for probable misnaming of some system and program terms. I'm using non-English language in wp8.1 (OS ver. 8.10.15137.148).

kaum
February 13th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Just now tried and did it again. Started playback (Playback screen), went to desktop, started windows alarms app, then went home (desktop), then longtap on "back" button, then did swipe down to close alarms application, tap on foobar app. Empty black (skin background) screen, only status icons and clock on top of it. Music goes on. Waited until the screen is off, unlocked the smartphone, "Resume..." and again black screen. Music is playing stable (since December version it's the most durable part of program. ;-) Separate thread rulezzz. ). Multiple "Home"->"Back" (black screen), and again with the same result. Then tap "Back" to "Browse" part and back to "Playback" screen - ok, everything's on its place.

Sorry for probable misnaming of some system and program terms. I'm using non-English language in wp8.1 (OS ver. 8.10.15137.148).

Looks like to be an WP8.1 problem. I went through all your steps and still cannot replicate it on my L950 on W10M.

Playback screen is as expected.

Seymour
February 13th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Looks like to be an WP8.1 problem. I went through all your steps and still cannot replicate it on my L950 on W10M.

Playback screen is as expected.I agree, moreover WP8.1 has a plenty of problems. Sometimes apps are not installing/starting until system restart. Here I acted the same way. After reboot the black screen is not showing, everything goes stable, smooth and rapid as it is intended to.
In case it shows up again I will let know.

Seymour
February 15th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Up-to-date-version. In "Playback" screen when I press "..." sign it leads to closing of the window.

Seymour
February 15th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I've updated the player app approximately twelve hours ago. "About" window says it's 1.2.2 (1.0.6 beta), and app.store shows the same (v.1.2.2.0).
By reading w10m thread I find out that now it's version 1.3.2 (see my report above about "crash" after touching "..." sign).

OK, my bad, now I've read Development thread thoroughly and see it:

Windows Store package version numbers will be 1.2.1 (Phone 8.1) and 1.3.1 (Universal)"
=)

Seymour
February 15th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Already installing 1.2.3!

UPD: installed, "..." button opens "decoding speed test" option. But I'm listening to Internet Radio! Pressed "Run" and progress is frozen on zero completeness level (canceled). ;-)
Regarding my other points I see no change yet.

Seymour
February 15th, 2016, 12:01 PM
"more by: artist", "more in: genre" and "decoding speed test" switch to another screen, from where by pressing Back button you go to "Browse" screen instead of preferable return back to "Playback".

Peter
February 16th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I'm going to add playback-screen-activate-by-vertical-swipe, just like we do on the other platforms. Unfortunately I've been unable to figure out how to trap gestures like that on Windows Phone, but I'll keep trying.

Seymour
February 16th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Hi, Peter.
Great! Thank you for this information. Get lucky! ;-)

Seymour
February 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Hi.
I have updated foobar2000 to the Newest version 1.0.8 beta.
I see canvasControl_pointerExited string in console - is that normal?

Peter
February 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Looks like there are console logging leftovers in the playback screen code, nothing to worry about. They'll be gone in the next version.

Seymour
February 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Ok, thanks.

Why not to have playback order option like elder brother (on PC) has? Like if I'll just have any playlist and select order to play by default/shuffle album|track/repeat track|album.

Seymour
February 18th, 2016, 12:34 PM
When I change orientation from vertical to horizontal having Playback screen indicated, it crashes often.

Peter
February 19th, 2016, 04:23 AM
When I change orientation from vertical to horizontal having Playback screen indicated, it crashes often.

Sorry, can't get it to crash on development devices.
Which exact phone model are you using and which exact Windows Phone operating system version?

Anything specific about now playing song? Album art picture present or not?

UPDATE: Nailed some bugs related to playback controls vs screen rotation, version 1.0.9 going up shortly.

Playback order options will be added at some point, on all platforms.

Seymour
February 19th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Which exact phone model are you using and which exact Windows Phone operating system version?Kindly see my profile info.

Anything specific about now playing song? Album art picture present or not?Nothing special regarding the file being played. A couple of times crash was in browse screen also.

UPDATE: Nailed some bugs related to playback controls vs screen rotation, version 1.0.9 going up shortly.Great! =)

Playback order options will be added at some point, on all platforms.Thanks for informing me.

Seymour
February 23rd, 2016, 12:55 AM
Hi.
Again experienced black screen. Here are details:
Started playback (Internet-radio), left it on playback screen, then started some game. Played it a little, quit playing. The foobar2000 screen showed up back, but black and empty.
Tried: blindly touching controls - works, even "..." pops up; switched back to Browse (two ways - swipe and back), the Browse screen showed well, but Playback screen was still broken.
One thing I should mind but didn't try is skin change (now app is closed).

Started app again. Browse screen -> swipe to Playback screen -> it shows "Loading skin..." but then returns back to Browse screen -> swipe again -> it shows "Loading skin..." -> ok, Playback screen is here.

Seymour
February 24th, 2016, 12:03 PM
And again empty screen. The details are the same as in my previous message. Tried to change the skin - resulted in background change without controls and art.

Seymour
February 26th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Hi.
Have updated to version 1.0.11 beta. Cyphers at Playback screen are jumping almost imperceptibly. Later will do the most of my using! =)

By the way,
Nice icon design!

Seymour
February 26th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Delete operation doesn't ask to confirm - dangerous (I already have deleted one track, just to check that command).
Rename operation has the same problem as I described for "Play location..." (white characters on white background) when using black skin.
Also, rename procedure looks unfinished: I choose Rename -> touch Enter -> it says that File with that name already exists... -> then application crashes; no proper way to abort rename operation.

Device's Music Library browse works with boring delays. And even after moment when directory list is shown, it takes a couple of seconds to start icon revealing. Even if folder includes only one file, it takes some time to show its contents after tap.

Advanced Search - is that tag-type-related one?

Seymour
February 26th, 2016, 02:53 PM
foobar2000 for Android readme
Supported audio formats

Module formats:
MOD, S3M, XM, IT and others

I
Want

That

Too!>8-D

Seymour
February 28th, 2016, 01:34 AM
Since the latest update, I've noticed that application began to inform user about network connection problems (logging also works). That's great!
In addition, playback of Internet Radio started from second Playback button tap previously, but now it's starting playback from the first tap. It's better than ever! =)

One thing here I'm asking to fix is indication of track title (it was working on earliest versions, until December, 2015 sure).

Seymour
February 29th, 2016, 11:43 AM
And again an empty Playback screen (at the first time since update).

Peter
March 4th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Empty playback screen bug gone today ( but please do tell if I'm wrong and it's still possible to trigger somehow ). Lots of other fixes also; should be as stable as the other ports.

MOD/S3M/XM/IT support will be added. As usually with foobar2000 development, I'm prioritizing bug fixes over adding features, and this platform is proving itself to be a total ***** to work with.

I guess there's a good side to Windows Phone being hard to develop for, there will be no or very little competition to deal with when we go live....

Seymour
March 4th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Empty playback screen bug gone today ( but please do tell if I'm wrong and it's still possible to trigger somehow ). Lots of other fixes also; should be as stable as the other ports.

MOD/S3M/XM/IT support will be added. As usually with foobar2000 development, I'm prioritizing bug fixes over adding features, and this platform is proving itself to be a total ***** to work with.

I guess there's a good side to Windows Phone being hard to develop for, there will be no or very little competition to deal with when we go live...."Wow" I should say! That was truly productive week!
I'll continue using the player daily the way I did it before, and since it was everyday problem (screen emptiness and rare crashes), I'll notice and appreciate improvement for sure! =)
Already have updated.
Yep, foobar2000 shall be the first, second and third place top application at once. ;-)
(*Still waiting for module track playback implementation.*)

Seymour
March 5th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Sorry to say, empty screen bug is not fixed...

Seymour
March 17th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hi.
Latest version 1.0.13 beta.

First of all, thank you, foobar2000 Team and especially Peter, for module track decoder implementation! Maybe there is something remaining regarding optimization, but anyway it's a big improvement already!

Next, for your information, since last update I had empty Playback screen once. So, it's not fixed totally, although I experience it quite rare.

Last, I don't have time to be engaged in deep testing, but using my lovely player daily.

Seymour
March 18th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Oh, just now updated to version 1.0.14, and Browse screen is empty. Playback screen is OK. Rebooted OS - no change.

Seymour
March 21st, 2016, 10:49 AM
Yesterday I had emptiness on both (Browse and Playback) screens. Looked like nothing was going on with GUI. No buttons to tap (I've tried to find an area to make some action), no swipe to perform. Nothing to do but restart foobar2000. After that, still have empty Browse/Settings screen.

Peter
March 25th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.
Just a heads up: all bug reports have been noted and will be dealt with. We're a bit low on development resources; after in-house testing has been shifted to Windows 10 phones it seems we have bugs that affect 8.1 devices but not those upgraded to 10.

randal1013
March 25th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Now that windows 10 mobile is officially rolling out, I wonder if it's even worthwhile to continue developing an 8.1 app.

Peter
March 25th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Code for Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1 is 99.9% the same, there's no reason to drop 8.1, especially considering how ancient OS versions we support with Android and iOS.

Re: slow browse of device's music library-
All access to device's user-visible filesystem using is done using a special WinRT API and it's ridiculously slow. Only access to foobar2000's own private data folder is fast. I've done what I could to speed this up and it's still ridiculously slow, modern Lumias get totally beaten by Samsung Galaxy Ace or iPod Touch 4gen at media indexing performance.

At some point soon I'll be working on a proper way to sync foobar2000 content with a desktop machine that will let you write directly to foobar2000's private folder with no slow browsing issues.

Re: confirm before delete-
Thanks for the report, this is indeed dangerous, it's being addressed on all 3 platforms for the next update.

Re: blank screen bug
Seymour, I'd like to know what exact device and Windows Phone OS you're using (from phone about page).

Seymour
March 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Hi, Peter!

Code for Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1 is 99.9% the same, there's no reason to drop 8.1, especially considering how ancient OS versions we support with Android and iOS.That is encouraging!

...modern Lumias get totally beaten by Samsung Galaxy Ace or iPod Touch 4gen at media indexing performance.May be there is no need to show comparison, only wanted acceptable response level, smooth browse feel. Anyway, at the present time it's slightly unclear for me how it'll be performed. Just looking forward! =) (As a foobar2000 desktop-version user, I use system explorer quite rare, playlist is enough for most my activities).
From my understanding, the key difference is (or will be) in place where to keep music files. For now my tunes are located in "Music" folder on SD-card.

At some point soon I'll be working on a proper way to sync foobar2000 content with a desktop machine that will let you write directly to foobar2000's private folder with no slow browsing issues.Will it be possible to tell program where to place foobar2000's private folder (since my device supports microSD card)?

Thanks for the report, this is indeed dangerous, it's being addressed on all 3 platforms for the next update.You are always welcome! =)

Seymour, I'd like to know what exact device and Windows Phone OS you're using (from phone about page).Kindly refer to my user profile, Biography section. =)

Peter
March 26th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Regarding Windows Phone vs Android performance comparison,

Windows Phone has some totally awesome concepts regarding fluid user experience and asynchronous programming; ones not seen on the other platforms.

However, filesystem performance (of accessing shared music/documents folders) totally boggles my mind.

To clarify, all apps can access their own private data using classic Win32 API, ReadFile() and so on. That does not seem to suffer from performance issues. However, any shared data ( SD card Documents / Music / etc ) must be accessed using new Windows::Storage APIs, which are ridiculously slow to use and impose various restrictions.

Examples of silly restrictions:
Files flagged as hidden+system care effectively invisible to us, there is no way to access them, so the universal app cannot ever see folder.jpg files that have been flagged as hidden+system.
All write operations are transacted. While this makes sense in general, it seems to be horribly implemented - just opening the file for writing without actually altering it results in a full temp file + rewrite cycle!
CORRECTION OK, just found out this isn't entirely true, you can perform classic non transacted writes also; confusing method naming got me thinking there's no way to do this. One great pain solved, console logging works like it should. Phew.

Finally, Windows::Storage API makes even the most basic operations pointlessly slow to execute, such as listing folder contents which should be instant on flash storage. While this is OK for one-time media library indexing, browsing by folders will always be somewhat lagged. I've spent countless development hours trying to work around this and wrote sophisticated code to walk Music folder contents using multiple threads, but speedups achieved seem to be minimal.

For comparison, I put my 8GB music SD card (1444 tracks) in various phones, made clean installs of foobar2000 mobile v1.0.14 from individual app stores and let the library finish scanning after cold boot:
Samsung Galaxy Ace: 0:53:498
HTC One Mini2: 0:42:424
Lumia 640XL, Windows 10: 1:56:656Note that the Samsung Galaxy Ace is my low-anchor fb2k mobile device device, it's the oldest and slowest thing I test on. As you can see, Lumia 640XL should be faster in every possible way than the old Samsung, yet it loses badly. I really hope there's some idiotic problem with my code that can be fixed to remedy this, but I've already spent countless development hours on trying to find one and made no progress.

Haha I looked over all of your posts yesterday but missed the profile :) thanks, I'll be investigating this.

Re: private profile folder
It is apparently possible to browse it if you move your foobar2000 installation to a SD card that you can take out, but not read or alter the files themselves, they're somehow encrypted or otherwise obfuscated. I've tried it and could not add more content to foobar2000 folder this way.

Seymour
March 27th, 2016, 12:45 PM
...filesystem performance (of accessing shared music/documents folders)...
...all apps can access their own private data using classic Win32 API, ReadFile() and so on. That does not seem to suffer from performance issues. However, any shared data ( SD card Documents / Music / etc ) must be accessed using new Windows::Storage APIs, which are ridiculously slow to use and impose various restrictions...A suggestion: what if to browse not current file system but some its image which is constructed, for example, during a library scan.

Haha I looked over all of your posts yesterday but missed the profile :) thanks, I'll be investigating this.Peter, I'm frankly impressed by your persistence and amazed at how you keep in your right mind with "those countless development hours on trying to find a remedy". =) Windows Phone makes a real trial to you!

Re: private profile folder
It is apparently possible to browse it if you move your foobar2000 installation to a SD card that you can take out, but not read or alter the files themselves, they're somehow encrypted or otherwise obfuscated. I've tried it and could not add more content to foobar2000 folder this way.Thank you for the hint, going to try it later, whatever it will result.

Peter
March 29th, 2016, 04:48 AM
BTW.
Since one of the recent updates you can move files between foobar2000's private folder and system music folder on Windows devices, using context menus.

As for blackscreen bug-
I have it on my Lumia 520 now. However it gets even more "fun" than this - build downloaded from Windows Store is appears to be genuinely f***ed, either crashes on startup or blackscreens each time, while build installed through Microsoft Visual Studio functions properly....

Peter
March 29th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Version 1.0.15 up, with various noncritical fixes.

I added new debug logging features to get some info about the blank screen, but now blank screen is gone from both my Windows Phone 8.1 devices.... I think the blank screen issue is really some bug in Windows Phone store, not in the application.

If you manage to recreate it, here's what you need to do to pull console logs: Connect your phone to your PC, open your "Music" folder, create a subfolder named "foobar2000-mobile-console-logs"
Launch foobar2000, console logs will be written there regardless of configured console log output folder
Make sure to detach the phone from your PC and re-attach before copying logs to the PC or else newly created files will not be seen! Talk about annoying design.
Make an archive of the "foobar2000-mobile-console-logs" folder and send to me (p@perkele.cc).

Seymour
March 29th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Hi,
Peter, blank screen is gone. I hope forever.

Peter
March 30th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Another update going up, still labelled 1.0.15 but with a higher Windows package version.

The fixes are internal and have little impact on other platforms; 1.0.15 on Android & iOS is same codebase as yesterday's 1.0.15 Windows Phone update.

In particular you should notice that folder browsing lags much less.

Seymour
March 31st, 2016, 02:22 PM
Peter, that is improvement! Still have space for enhancement, but much more ease now while browsing among folders after last update.

Did not meet the blank screen yet anymore. =) However, my style of using foobar2000 mobile have changed. And I'm going to try the Windows 10 Mobile on my Prestigio 8500 (although that is unofficial).

I should have tried to play module files to notice changes there, will do a bit later.

Seymour
March 31st, 2016, 04:05 PM
Just now caught a "Not Playing" bug on Playback screen. Music plays through the playlist, control buttons (Previuos, Play/Pause, Next) work there (but playback sign - triangle - does not change to pause). Restart of an app doesn't help. Settings screen shows tick at "Play" command text string during playback and other status places marked correspondingly. Context menu: now playing. Upper bar shows correct playback information (actual controls and name).

Peter
April 13th, 2016, 04:19 AM
The "Not Playing" bug, does it persist phone restarts? Sounds like worker process (that's not restarted along with the frontend) stopped sending status updates properly, but there's no easy way to forcibly restart, other than rebooting the device.

Edit: the above is wrong, I'm pretty sure it's not interprocess communication related after all, after some further research

Seymour
April 13th, 2016, 12:45 PM
The "Not Playing" bug, does it persist phone restarts? Sounds like worker process (that's not restarted along with the frontend) stopped sending status updates properly, but there's no easy way to forcibly restart, other than rebooting the device.Hi!
Nice to see you care!

If the "Not Playing" bug could stand against phone restart, then I should be here bombing this thread totally. ;-)

No cheers from me. In addition, I've seen empty Playback screen today. It seems to me that it's for the first time since the last update.

kaum
April 14th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Hi!
Nice to see you care!

If the "Not Playing" bug could stand against phone restart, then I should be here bombing this thread totally. ;-)

No cheers from me. In addition, I've seen empty Playback screen today. It seems to me that it's for the first time since the last update.

Might that be an old OS bug?
I read that the newest W10M build .218 has such a bug closed:
"Fixed issue with audio playback using Groove music and other music apps on a phone"
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/21375_Windows_10_Mobile_production_d.php

Peter
April 14th, 2016, 08:58 AM
After further research, I am pretty sure this bug is isolated to foobar2000 mobile playback screen, it's not a system bug of some kind.

Just to be 100% sure what I'm dealing with, please confirm that this description matches what you're seeing:
Playback screen shows: stub album art, no text whatsoever (artist / title / album / playback time all missing), playback buttons (but play pause state does not update), blank seekbar.
"Now playing context menu" / the ... button works, shows commands for the currently playing track.

Edit 1: Also how does this bug interact with rotating the device? Does playback status start showing after rotating or not?

Edit 2: How does it behave if you cycle skins?

Seymour
April 14th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Hi.

Peter,
Last time I didn't examine the blank Playback screen in respect to playback controls, skin change behavior etc. Only restarted application (was low on free time then).
In my previous experience blank Playback screen was showing nothing but background color fill (I use dark - that means black). Buttons... Let me refresh my feedback from several messages:
Seymour's message *52 (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?119-WP8-1-version-feedback&p=887&viewfull=1*post887)
Seymour's message *41 (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?119-WP8-1-version-feedback&p=859&viewfull=1*post859)
Seymour's message *40 (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?119-WP8-1-version-feedback&p=858&viewfull=1*post858)

My observation is:
when I switch to running foobar2000 application, prior to show of screen, it shows brief annotation "Loading skin..." in the middle of the screen, and some seconds later shows contents.
sometimes switching back to foobar2000 app does not lead to "Loading skin..." message, but shows only empty Playback screen.

UPD: Just now managed to provoke Playback screen to blank itself again. None of playback controls are available (no reaction on taps). Blank screen, no album art, nothing on Playback page except system icons and time. Device screen orientation changes nothing significant (system icons are rotating). Other pages are OK, as well as system upper fall-down info overlay (title together with playback and volume controls). Skin change does not alter anything except background fill color of Playback screen.

Console citation:
Monitoring: ...
Media library: scan...
Exception while repainting: Unspecified error

CreateDrawingSession cannot be called before the RegionsInvalidated event has been raised.
Opening track for playback:...

I hope it'll help.

In my humble opinion, console is missing system time to log (certain moment when the event has come).

Peter
April 15th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the details.

Sorry about the confusion, I thought this was an entirely new separate bug, while in fact this is a new symptom of a problem that I already made workarounds for.

I've managed to recreate the bug locally now, today's update will include a fix. Thanks for your patience.

kaum
May 9th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Do you plan an open preview also for Windows Phone 8.1? Or do I misunderstand your post that the preview is only available for Win10?

Seymour
May 25th, 2016, 03:03 PM
With the latest update I have indication of the Internet-stream title in the Playback screen! Thank you very much! =)

And this part will be completed when title will be indicated in the OS' volume-playback-status overlay.

Seymour
May 31st, 2016, 11:47 PM
It seems like since the last beta update the DSP order is broken (in some particular orders places are mixed up without an obvious cause).

monkey
June 2nd, 2016, 01:37 PM
Hi.
On Lumia 640, when the screen is locked, I can't adjust the volume. Is this an intended feature or am I missing an option somewhere?

Peter
June 3rd, 2016, 05:27 AM
It seems like since the last beta update the DSP order is broken (in some particular orders places are mixed up without an obvious cause).Thanks for the report. What are the exact symptoms?
We now auto insert a resampler at the end for WASAPI to work, but other than that nothing should have changed, if you have another instance of resampler enabled, you'll be running two of them.

Hi.
On Lumia 640, when the screen is locked, I can't adjust the volume. Is this an intended feature or am I missing an option somewhere?

Indeed, I've seen this behavior on my own Lumia 640 XL. What's strange that Groove Music doesn't have this issue, so it must be somehow possible to work around. Bug report noted.

LoyalWinampUser
June 4th, 2016, 01:07 PM
New user here. Only found out yesterday that foobar2000 is now mobile and available on WP. The music apps of WP (both Xbox Music and third parties) have been so poor, I pretty much gave up on it and used my old trusty classic iPod (I play offline tracks, don't stream or anything online). iPod died on me recently (needs new battery) and had to use the horrible Xbox Music again on my Nokia Lumia. Seeing a high-profile name like foobar2000 which is one of the best players on PC (sorry, Winamp will always be no.1) appear on WP got me excited.

So I've used it since yesterday and already, I can easily say it's the best music app on WP. As expected there are problems though. Album Artist/Album only shows about 10 artists, no more than that. Almost all songs that are not supposed to have an album art actually do, and all have the same one (Fallen by Evanescence). And also, I've searched everywhere but there is no option of playlists - where are they? The sticky thread said playlists are also present.

Overall, great job so far!

Davesworld
June 7th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I was very excited recently to install foobar on my Lumia 620, having signed up as a follower back in April last year. It looks good and although some functionality seems to be missing so far (as others have noticed - no playlists, not being able to see the order of tracks in the album you're playing, not being able to adjust volume when the screen lock is on) these are not crucial for me. But unfortunately it just keeps crashing. And when it does it stops all the other music players I have on the phone and they can only be made to work again by a soft reset of the phone. I cannot find a pattern to it. I set an album playing but rarely do I get through more than a couple of minutes of the first track before the sound stops and the screen just freezes. If I try to switch to the horrible Microsoft Xbox Music the screen freezes again and no tracks will play. As I said I cannot see what could be causing it. I notice nobody else reporting this, do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks, Dave,
Lumia 620, WP8.1, foobar 1.2.25.0 accessing a 16gb sd card with mp3 files

Davesworld
June 8th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Hi, again. Please forget my above post, I'd like to delete it but can't find how to do so. I'm pretty sure the problem is with my phone or the sd card, or maybe both, but not foobar. Sorry!
Dave

Seymour
June 10th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the report. What are the exact symptoms?
We now auto insert a resampler at the end for WASAPI to work, but other than that nothing should have changed, if you have another instance of resampler enabled, you'll be running two of them.Hi.

Didn't understand how could I have several resampler instances... I'll only try to give some details:

First I start foobar2000 beta, go to DSP settings and see the chain in the following order:
skip silence (on) > crossfade (on) > mix to stereo (on) > mix to mono (off) > resample (on) > crossfeed (off) > adv. limiter (on) > -6dB limiter (off) > mono to stereo (on) > reverse stereo (off)

Then I start foobar2000 mobile, the order is:
mix to stereo (on) > mix to mono (off) > skip silence (on) > crossfade (on) > resample (on) > crossfeed (off) > adv. limiter (on) > -6dB limiter (off) > mono to stereo (on) > reverse stereo (off)

I prefer to have the last shown DSP order. I close foobar2000 mobile, go to foobar2000 beta, DSP settings, tap "Reorder", make changes in the following way:
mix to stereo (on) > mix to mono (off) > skip silence (on) > crossfade (on) > resample (on) > crossfeed (off) > adv. limiter (on) > -6dB limiter (off) > mono to stereo (on) > reverse stereo (off),
tap "Reorder" again (changes are correct and accepted), tap "Back" arrow, go back to "DSP Manager" and see:
skip silence (on) > crossfade (on) > mix to stereo (on) > resample (on) > adv. limiter (on) > mono to stereo (on) > mix to mono (off) > -6dB limiter (off) > crossfeed (off) > reverse stereo (off).

In such a situation you find this behaviour a bit strange, don't you? ;-)

In case any further information needed, let me know.

Seymour
June 11th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Hi.
Updated to version 1.0.28 beta.
DSP chain is still broken. Unable to leave "Advanced limiter" in the beginning, when I reopen "DSP Manager" it jumps somewhere to the middle.

Seymour
June 12th, 2016, 02:58 PM
With great pleasure (and in good mood ;-) I see many application improvements like:
- next track indication is a "must have" feature;
- now the module tracker music version is shown;
- overall speed improvement (feels like quicker playback command response and faster skin regeneration), now I'm trying to remember on which module the player had definite performance lack to test it and throw all doubts away;-)
- useful "repeat" and "shuffle" options.

One thing doesn't satisfy me now is "..." button. It's quite hard to tap it (too small sensitive area).

Anyway, keep up the best!

Peter
June 18th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Hi.
Updated to version 1.0.28 beta.
DSP chain is still broken. Unable to leave "Advanced limiter" in the beginning, when I reopen "DSP Manager" it jumps somewhere to the middle.

Thanks for the detailed description!
The bug has been fixed for the next version which will be out soon.
For now you can also mitigate it by momentarily toggling one of the DSPs after reordering.

LoyalWinampUser
June 19th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I cannot find any options for playlists in the entire app. Can someone help?

Seymour
June 19th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I cannot find any options for playlists in the entire app. Can someone help?From my far understanding, the function (playlist composing and saving) is not implemented yet fully. The situation was described in this thread (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?201-Button-to-return-to-playlist) gives us a hint that it is in development. Though still no answer yet.

Hi, Peter!

Good to hear that, and it seems to be ok now! Please pay a little attention to the following feedback:
Version 1.0.30 beta

- today while I was trying to play some music I had a "Critical playback error: Unknown error (8007000E)" several times prior to playback started. What does that error mean?

- when I turn Shuffle Mode On, current playing track changes to another instantly. It could be better to prepare for shuffle but keep current track playing.

- in stop mode (when long pressed on "Pause" button), "Next:" field is unavailable so I don't see from which track playback will continue.

Seymour
June 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM
- today while I was trying to play some music I had a "Critical playback error: Unknown error (8007000E)" several times prior to playback started. What does that error mean?Follow up. The bug starts with "Critical playback error: bad allocation" message and playback stops then. "Playlist" included local music files (various, in the first case there were it- and other module tracks, next time there was a bunch of mp3, mp4(aac) and opus). Rebooted the phone, then it happen again.
And it seems that DSP "skip silence" and "crossfader" become broken then (until phone reboot). Playback stops (almost?) every time at the current track end without any messages.

kode54
June 21st, 2016, 02:07 AM
8 = warning
7 = FACILITY_WIN32

WIN32 facility error E / 14L is ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY.

Peter
June 21st, 2016, 02:48 AM
Seymour,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. Does your fb2k report itself as "package version 1.2.32" ? If not, please update - there was a cockup similar to what you're describing with the initial 1.0.30 (package 1.2.30), but it was pulled and hotfixed within hours.

Seymour
June 21st, 2016, 10:40 PM
Hi Peter!

My beta version was then and now is the latest (1.2.32 in store), no more updates available.

kode54
ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY? Hmm. There is a problem with leaving other application in background, after foobar2000 start that app closes. And sometimes foobar2000 starts only from the 3rd try (crashes during startup). Memory leakage?

LoyalWinampUser
June 22nd, 2016, 05:16 AM
Since a few minutes ago I cannot play any more tracks. It gives a critical playback error, Unknown Error, code 80010108.

EDIT: Now works again, after I tapped Play on the Playback Controls in the Settings. Quite weird really. This might be a bug.

Seymour
October 15th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Hi,

there is an update available, but not for Windows Phone 8.1 anymore.

Since we've waited for any development changes for several months,
there is almost no chance for me to achieve a stable version of foobar2000 mobile player now.

It a big disappointment for me. Regardless of the reason for that quit.

Well,
one day I will own another phone gadget,
and I am looking forward into the opportunity to be happy with foobar2000 then.

Peter
October 16th, 2016, 06:57 AM
We are NOT dropping WP81 support. There will be at least one update for Windows Phone 8.1, with all new playlist manipulation features.

Update for Windows 10 was delayed also because of development chain troubles.

I'm converting the UI code from C++ to Csharp because C++ with XAML is outright broken. It was a mistake to start doing UI in C++ in first place, but I had no way to know that in advance. But the situation is finally improving, Visual Studio 2015 doesn't endlessly hang or do other idiotic things while editing user interface layouts.

Seymour
October 17th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Hi Peter!

Thanks for letting us know. That truly really gives us hopes and makes much understanding.

Regarding PC programming, I've got stuck in time when it was performed in basic, asm, pascal etc. So, it's very sad to realize that modern SDKs and all that stuff (development environment) around make so much trouble though they provide more ability also.
Presently I'm dealing with cpus (siemens and others) taking control of sensitive processes. If something goes wrong/buggy/illogical, it makes strong pain in ones ass then. That gives me right to say that I feel this pain for you.
Sorry for MS.

Kindly waiting for stable release. =)

damasta
March 20th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I run foobar2000 mobile UWP 1.05.55 on five (!) windows 10 devices, two of which are Lumias. Seems like the best player for me - due to vorbis, opus, replaygain and gapless support! :-)

I'd like to share a few BUGS I found on my lumias (bugs are same on W10 builds 14986 - 15051) here:
1. when the network status changes on my lumias (such as: enable flight mode, change from wifi to 4G or back etc.) playback stops. no error no sound, just stops. I can restart playback manually and it resumes from where it stopped. it doesn't matter whether foobar has focus or not.
2. when the screen is locked, volume up down doesn't work. I have to switch the screen on first - but the phone can remain locked.
3. Bluetooth won't transmit the artist. Groove does and so does MCplayer.
4. On occasion, playback will get choppy when the phone's screen is off. unfortunately, it is rare and I have not determined yet how to reproduce that.
5. the device's music library list sometimes doesn't show which song is currently playing. usually, there is a triangular icon in front of the track being played, but more often than not, it is missing.
6. deleting files from the library list works, but... oddly.

GREAT:
1. simple, sleek black (!) UI. works just great for me on my OLED displays.
2. the UWP app works on all my devices.
3. love the continuum support! I use it often on my and other's home theaters. we've all got lumia docks, and/or WiDi/Miracast enabled TVs.

FEATURE REQUESTS:
1. pleeeeeaaaassee add OneDrive streaming support?! but without sacrificing other functionality? I'd gladly pay for it.
2. long shot, but: Cortana integration? at least the basics such as: "play...", "next", "previous", etc...
3. option to automatically start playback when app launches - very convenient when I get in my car!
4. use OneDrive to save/sync settings across devices?

thanks guys for supporting a (dying?) exotic platform too!

Mike Sargent
March 22nd, 2017, 06:49 AM
> 4. On occasion, playback will get choppy when the phone's screen is off. unfortunately, it is rare and I have not determined yet how to reproduce that.

I get the same thing. It sort of sounds like it's burping. This is on a Lumia 950. I have tried both internal storage and the SD card, but that doesn't seem to make any difference (SD is a quality Kingston card). Rebooting seems to make it better, but that might be more of a placebo effect.

Other than that, I love foobar2000 mobile!

Mike

damasta
April 6th, 2017, 09:43 AM
ok, I am now on windows build 15063.2 (probably the last preview before the creator's update. yay!) foobar says it is on 1.0.55 (store package 1.3.47).

Some feedback:
FIXED: Foobar2000 no longer stops playback when the network status changes.
FIXED: Volume now works under lockscreen too.
FIXED: (at least no problems yet) playback is no longer occasionally choppy.

BROKEN: Artist still wont transmit via Bluetooth.
BROKEN: Music library list sometimes still wont show which track is playing.

all in all: Great stuff! Keep up the good work! (if the fixes are due to new W10 builds - still great. ;-)

mauro2786
April 10th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Hi, I'm using version 1.0.61 on a Lumia 635 and since the last update I noticed that after selecting "All Tracks" of an artist in "Album Artist / Album" it shows the tracks in alphabetical order instead of ordered by album, is there a way to go back to that behavior?

Ancestral
May 20th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Hello,

I am a foobar2000 user since the first version, actually I am using 1.0.67 on Lumia 950. I really love Foobar2000 mobile and I have some feedback :

- BUG: If I stop playback and close the application, when I restart the application, it lost the progression and restart the playback by the start of the playlist (I think it should restart at the last music played, like Foobar2000 desktop). Note: I mainly use "Shuffle All Tracks" option for listen music.

- BUG: The end of "Advanced preferences" menu is unreachable (I can see there is something after if I try, but this don't scroll):

- IMPROVEMENT : For listing menus like Album, Titles, Composer, ... There is no alphabetic shortcut menu (Cf screenshot below) to jump to the wished letter directly. User need to scroll again and again, this is a pain with a big library.

- SUGGESTION : Something in the Desktop version for easily sync library changes with the phone version.

And Thanks a lot for this software, it is simply the best on Windows phone.

Mike Sargent
June 10th, 2017, 08:59 AM
> 4. On occasion, playback will get choppy when the phone's screen is off. unfortunately, it is rare and I have not determined yet how to reproduce that.

I get the same thing. It sort of sounds like it's burping. This is on a Lumia 950. I have tried both internal storage and the SD card, but that doesn't seem to make any difference (SD is a quality Kingston card). Rebooting seems to make it better, but that might be more of a placebo effect.

I am still getting this effect. As mentioned, I have tried internal and SD memory with no significant change. Recently I just tried using FLAC files at compression level 1, rather than 8 that I normally use, and I still get the burping.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

damasta
July 21st, 2017, 09:26 AM
Hi Mike, what windows build are you on? I'm on 16232.0 right now and I have NO more glitches, clicks or interruptions. Apparently, MS fixed a bug in a background process that would starve certain audio playback routines of CPU cycles, causing audio artifacts. Unless you are an insider, you'll have to wait for that build (creators' build 2 / Autumn Update) Foobar is V1.0.85, Store package 1.3.58. Audio is perfect now.

Mike Sargent
July 25th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I'm on 10.0.15069.483 (Creators Update). I stopped with Insider builds once the CU was available (for stability).

Once the Fall Update starts to be considered stable I guess I'll get back into the Insider builds.

Thanks,
Mike

Peter
July 25th, 2017, 07:39 AM
All bug reports noted, thanks for your patience. I'm rounding up the remaining issues and a major bugfix update is on its way.

damasta
July 25th, 2017, 08:07 AM
In response to Mike's earlier post:

My apologies... I got my builds mixed up. Windows Mobile is still in the 15xxx branch, not the 16xxx branch. I quoted my desktop build. My 950xl is on build 15228.0. IMHO, it is very stable, aside from an apparent issue with the store causing updates to either not happen or fail. (that is all over the feedback hub and seems to impact LOTS of ppl currently). BTW, it's quite safe to assume that the Autumn Update for mobile will either not happen and/or be wholly trivial. All the recent insider builds for mobile were only bug-fixes (albeit good ones!) with and no feature updates. Frankly, most of the AU features are not relevant to mobile anyways and/or would be mainly cosmetic. So I can recommend getting back in the insider slow ring, 15228 runs really well for me. And do does Foobar.
You might also want to try a hard reset - just for good measure.

Seymour
July 30th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Hi!
Here are some points for developers accumulated to express.

1. New from the past. Latest ver. has i-radio artist-title problem (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?780-Artists-amp-titles-when-playing-internet-radio).
2. Back me up. Please update beta version, at present it has "Loading skin..." hangup. It is much easier to update foobar2000 Mobile when you know that you have one version more reserved.
3. Ease and comfort. Are you planning to reform main menu? Maybe something like tabbed interface? Just try to switch a couple times from playlists menu to any media server and back. "Add to playlist" command wanted having a drop-down list to choose certain one from existing or creation of a new one.
4. Ghosts are living here. I've experienced absence of popup-menu after long-tap on item. Bug has disappeared after some my actions. Noticed only once, using rarely, who knows when I'll notice it again?
5. Speed is never enough. Device's Music Library - slowly opens upon startup. Not able to add track to playlist (long-tap action). Overall performance of main menu is poor, annoying delays here and there.

Peter
July 31st, 2017, 12:47 AM
The beta channel is gone. Please use regular channel, it has all features enabled and newer codebase now. Due to annoying toolchain & slow website, I'm longer pushing two separate versions.

As for slow Music library browsing, this is WinRT's awesome file API at work, it compares only to Android's Storage Access Framework in terms of annoyance levels. I cannot do anything to fix it. I really tried.

As for other bugs, this is a good moment to bring them up, major update (possibly the last WP81 build) will be out soon.

damasta
July 31st, 2017, 06:02 AM
Hi Peter,

sounds great! Does than mean you will end Windows Mobile altogether? Or will you port to a W10 universal app? (which I hope!)

Also: I can't confirm Seymour's performance issues - although "Speed" is often subjective. I have between 300-500 items in my music library stored on the SD-Card in my L950xl at any time. I find the library typically opens in max. 3-4 seconds, which is just fine by me.

Seymour
July 31st, 2017, 02:31 PM
Hi Peter,
thanks for your soon response!

Head up! Not a moment for retirement! =)

Beta version. Could you just publish beta which has no critical bugs? Needed to do it once.
What about points 1 and 3 from my previous post? Any details needed?

Peter
August 1st, 2017, 07:44 AM
Re Universal Windows Platform-

We already provide builds for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Universal (which run on Windows Phone 10 devices). Support for Windows Phone 8.1 on our end is about to be terminated, but not before I push one more build with no critical bugs (and some new features added).

Re speed-

I've been investigating browsing lag on my Lumia 640XL, and it's the system that is to blame not us. Startup of pre-populated listview is slow for no good reason, can take a noticeable fraction of a second to load a simple page. Funnily, the views that we delay-load (media servers, etc) are less annoying - "please wait" prompt appears instantly, then actual content follows in a moment. However, backtracing to such view is still slow as the items are already there.

I made a very simple hello world app with most trivial pre-populated list views duplicating what foobar2000 mobile does and it lags the same way as we do.

There has to be a solution to this nonsense - by reimplementing offending system functionality, but it's not worth the trouble at this time. Other platforms do not suffer from the same.

Re Internet radio-

Fixed for the next update, thanks for reporting.

damasta
August 1st, 2017, 09:31 AM
Re speed-

I've been investigating browsing lag on my Lumia 640XL, and it's the system that is to blame not us. Startup of pre-populated listview is slow for no good reason, can take a noticeable fraction of a second to load a simple page. Funnily, the views that we delay-load (media servers, etc) are less annoying - "please wait" prompt appears instantly, then actual content follows in a moment. However, backtracing to such view is still slow as the items are already there.

I made a very simple hello world app with most trivial pre-populated list views duplicating what foobar2000 mobile does and it lags the same way as we do.

There has to be a solution to this nonsense - by reimplementing offending system functionality, but it's not worth the trouble at this time. Other platforms do not suffer from the same.

Sorry I need to clarify - I feel I may have been misunderstood. And/or I misunderstood you. I, at least, have NO performance issues. Here is a short clip of me operating Foobar2000 on my 950xl:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6lsxesTTtFXJDn0ZkXA

ALL browsing is practically instant, with NO significant lags or loading time.

I'm on Windows build 15230.0, Foobar version 1.0.85 and store package 1.3.58.

I guess I'm trying to say: Windows 10 mobile is either fixed, or something else is causing Seymour's performance issues, or my hardware is just faster, or I'm barking up the wrong tree. ;-)
But speed is NOT a general/global issue.

Peter
August 2nd, 2017, 01:40 AM
Sorry I need to clarify - I feel I may have been misunderstood. And/or I misunderstood you. I, at least, have NO performance issues. Here is a short clip of me operating Foobar2000 on my 950xl:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6lsxesTTtFXJDn0ZkXA

Thanks for the video, it's interesting to see how it performs on alternate devices - after having stared at the same on my own Lumia 640XL.

Anyway, the glitch that's been bothering me is there on the video-

When you tap a library browse tree section - or try to backtrace to another view by tapping 'back', there is a split second delay before the UI responds. In fact, just cycling between initial browsing page and tools page is considerably lagged on my devices - and this should be instant.

Actually scrolling and all operations on already-running lists are good, we employ asynchronous loading of pictures to keep things as smooth as possible. Just the opening a list ( or backtracing to a list that was loaded before ) lags.

Anyway, version 1.0.88 is out - list of changes here (http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?117-foobar2000-for-Windows-Phone-Windows-10-Universal-readme).

Seymour
August 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Hi!
Happy to say, this morning I've updated both (beta and mobile) foobar2000. And my good mood will not fail for the rest of the day and a couple of weeks more for sure! Unless I'll face with any more critical bugs. ;-)

Thank you Peter for your care! You are very good supporter.

damasta, thank you too for your video report. Helps me to realize how slow my smartphone is. ;-) So-named tap-lag in your example almost reaches the half-a-second. Though it is much shorter (more than twice) compared to my phone, it's still noticeable.
Thanks go to Peter again for the investigation he made and for the thorough explanation. Now I'll keep it in mind and will not suffer anymore. ;-)

Regarding my motives and participation in this thread. Among the things that captivated me to have a WP8.1-operated device were UI smoothness, low-lag, stability. Now, after the foobar2000 mobile birth and development, I have clear feeling of rude reality. ;-) And it forcing me to change platform (Android on Samsung may be).

Please just try to keep WP8.1 support alive as far as you can. :rolleyes: At least until I'll make a notice that my smartphone is broken. ;)

Seymour
August 5th, 2017, 08:34 AM
And I have already noticed some small bug with the latest foobar2000 mobile version. Here is my situation description:
Started a playback. Then left the phone untouched for a while. Then wanted to increase the volume, pressed the lock-button to light the screen up, and pressed volume-up hard button. Indication showed increasing the multimedia-volume from 10 to 30 (max) points but actual volume didn't change. Tried to adjust the sound volume a couple of times both directions, then slided my finger up to bring the desktop on the screen. Then tried to adjust the sound volume again, and it worked well. Locked the screen, tried again - works well.
From that time I didn't try to reproduce the situation.

Peter
August 5th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Bug noted. However this might not be our issue, as we don't even handle volume control events, it's all controlled by the operating system.

Seymour
September 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Cannot confirm the issue with not updating software version.

Never noticed the situation described by our (martyr-of-Windows-Phone) Peter. Previous Windows Store package version was 1.2.46.0, now the latest is 1.2.47.0. Foobar2000 shows the same package version and Version: 1.0.94.

Good to know that the latest build is "stable and bug-free".
Bad for me that it's probably the latest one.
Trauer

Anyway,
Peter!
Thank you for this useful product!
Appreciate your care very much!

Peter
September 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Now my own devices get 1.0.94 as well.
For most of the day the whole store appeared non functional - apps would fail to install/update giving various error codes.

Perhaps an issue with some European Windows Store server giving nonsense if none of you guys saw the issue.

Still, I am 100% positive I got broken 1.0.85 from the store just yesterday (Thursday 2017-09-07).

EDIT
Spoke too soon.
One of the phones gets 1.0.94, the other still gets 1.0.85......

Seymour
September 10th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Another issue regarded to playback process separation to make music playback in background.
Now the music gone background too deep! I would say underground! :-)
Explanation is here.
Restarted my phone (to avoid any side effects).
Connected to the phone via Yamaha EPH-W22 Bluetooth adapter.
Pressed Playback button on the adapter. Music file "A" started.
Started the foobar2000 mobile application. Its screen shows another music file and that it's not played at the moment.
Tapped playback on the screen. Music "B" started in accompaniment to music "A" being played.

If I will break the sequence and at first start the app and tap Play button, it'll be ok.

BTW, commands from mentioned above Yamaha adapter are well recognized. Even if the foobar2k app is not running and was not ever.

Seymour
September 10th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Performance aspect.

Sometimes I hear small pieces of silence. Cannot find out the reason, don't know how to reproduce.

But I know that application has some "problematic" module tracks. Example:
http://darkman007.untergrund.net/chiptune.php
Chiptunes 2007 album, "download all tracks" link at the bottom of the page. In zip-file there is a folder called "chipyxa 5". There is "chipo_five_1.it", which cannot be played without delays on my smartphone. But on my ten-aged desktop PC it consumes only 20 to 25 percent of CPU time (in foobar2000).

Maybe it's because the component used to play mod-files is non-optimized for Qualcomm MSM8212. Anyway, it is not critical, just noticed difference between mobile and desktop application.

After all, not related to performance, this is not the only thing to make better. For example, mod-files have no seek-bar. Also, is there no way to show file properties (name, path, size, type etc.)?

Peter
September 11th, 2017, 12:02 AM
Certain file formats - in particular more complex module files, game music formats and Monkey's Audio high modes may require lots of CPU power to play and decode at sub-realtime speeds on mobile devices. You can tap+hold the offending track and run decoding speed test to confirm. Perhaps we can optimize this in the future somehow, as even the low end phones have multiple CPU cores which we don't utilize for decoding.

Also if you use any DSPs enabled, see if disabling them helps.

Seymour
September 11th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Hi Peter.
Nice to see your answer! :-)

It wasn't easy to make Decoding Speed Test.
Reason *1: track is long, so with sub-realtime decoding speed it takes more than five minutes to be succeed, not easy to take care of test.
Reason *2: during the test, you must keep music stopped (to avoid influence).
Reason *3: if your phone will lock its screen, after unlocking you'll see "Resuming", and then you'll get to main menu (track-list), no signs of test. I think test is canceled upon phone screen lock. I need to increase "time before lock" parameter.
Reason *4: in addition to problem from *3, you cannot do anything with your phone. No calls, no reading, no surfing. Switching to any other task from foobar2000 app will stop the test.
Reason *5: due to absence of seek information within module-file, speed test' progress bar is not working, and you cannot estimate amount of time remaining to end the test.

Despite that, I managed to finish the test:

Total length: 6:52.592
Info read time: 0:00.003
Opening time: 0:00.016
Decoding time: 7:29.134
0.919x realtime
Stats by codec:
IT v8.88: 0.919x realtime

Is there any way to see CPU usage?

Peter
September 23rd, 2017, 02:23 AM
(Sorry about slow reply)

Indeed looks like this particular IT file decodes at sub-realtime speeds. I recommend that you use desktop foobar2000 converter to render this file to another format and upload a converted version to the phone.

As for Decoding Speed Test being hard to use, issues noted. The progress bar wasn't supposed to move in mid-song, only report progress when decoding a lot of songs which is what I typically do, I'll see if I can make it easier to use.

Seymour
September 26th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Hi Peter!

Thank you for paying attention. I will think about it.

Do you have any thoughts regarding another issue I discovered:

Connected to the phone via Yamaha EPH-W22 Bluetooth adapter.
Pressed Playback button on the adapter. Music file "A" started.
Started the foobar2000 mobile application. Its screen shows another music file and that it's not played at the moment.
Tapped playback on the screen. Music "B" started in accompaniment to music "A" being played.

If I will break the sequence and at first start the app and tap Play button, it'll be ok.

Today it was happening again. Without any additional devices. Player application says "Not playing", but music plays and if I'll use volume hard buttons, upper status overlay shows the info of track being played.

I restarted player app, and it became normal. Seems that playback process separation sometimes loses synchrony.

Any details needed? Screenshot maybe?

Seymour
February 9th, 2018, 09:37 AM
So,
Happy to say: I'm on android from now on! =)

I may be still using Windows Phone 8.1 - powered device for music playback occasionally, but not as main for sure. Thus I personally have no interest in further development of foobar2000mobile on WP8.1 (if anyone else still does).

Hope no more posts from me in this thread. ;-)

Mike Sargent
February 10th, 2018, 09:33 AM
WP8.1 maybe, but I'm still using it on WP10, so please don't think that Windows Phone (in general) can be dropped.

Thanks,
Mike

Seymour
February 17th, 2018, 04:10 AM
Hi,

When my phone (WP8.1-operated) started its breakdown, I refused my thoughts about android, I was absolutely distracted. Wanted to buy a new and fresh windows-phone-os-based device. But it was not easy to find one locally. Finally then I found some Archos model, already reserved it, and took a short glance on the situation in Windows Mobile segment. In a while the news changed my opinion, and with great self-convince I bought android-operated phone.

Since that I managed to change my opinion. At present time I do not suffer at all.

Just to mention. In previous page of this thread I showed performance issue, then I was unable to listen some music in realtime. Now the Samsung Exynos 7870 (octa-core SoC with Cortex-A53 on 1,6 GHz) playing the same track with 100% (in 2x realtime speed) performance reserve.
I am sure it is not thanks to android system, but windows phone is unfortunately dying and I think the best news for now are: Windows 10 Mobile Build 15254.249 is now available for Insiders (https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/02/16/windows-10-mobile-build-15254-249/).

Sorry for my offtopic-about narration.