PDA

View Full Version : HighRes via external DAC?

CD-Sammler
May 12th, 2016, 02:55 PM
foobar2000 mobile really is a great app. But when using my DragonFly Red USB DAC connected to my iPhone I only get CD resolution. I own a lot of highres music files. It would be very nice to listen to them in their original resolution. Foobar would be the perfect music player if that would be possible.

kode54
May 13th, 2016, 12:05 AM
As a layperson who has only glanced over the iOS sound output chain, it appears to be asking Core Audio for exactly the sound format of the files you are feeding to the player. The fact that Apple is not opening your sound device using those parameters, but is instead downmixing everything to a low common sample rate, is probably entirely Apple's fault.

CD-Sammler
May 13th, 2016, 01:26 AM
But on the other hand iOS apps like Flac Player or the Onkyo HF Player can already handle highres files. No proplem there with my USB DAC. It is possible. I like those forementioned music players but I think foorbar2000 could be much better.

kode54
May 14th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Oh. You mean resolution, not sample rate. Yeah, I just checked the source code, it explicitly requests 16 bit output. Perhaps this is a good time to lodge a feature request?