PDA

View Full Version : High-definition audio output non-operational ?

Coolhand
July 5th, 2016, 07:46 PM
I've just begun to use F2K (1.0.33) on my iPhone 6 (iOS 9.3.2) and I must say that it has blindingly fast responsiveness and instantly found all my defined library settings from Asset UPnP, this is totally wicked and mad kudos to the developers... it also looks really schmick !!

One thing of much interest to me now that I can listen to my entire 8TB music library directly on my mobile, is playback of ALL resolutions natively if possible.
The Advanced menu has a switch to apparently allow High-definition audio output, which I presume should function at all rates up to at least 192 khz, when a Dac is connected via the lightning port.
(This I have validated when using the ONKYO HF Player app, which functions flawlessly as such when I connect my Chord MOJO dac via an Apple CCK cable)

However with F2K, although it plays all of my music through to my MOJO dac just fine, the dac only indicates that it is receiving a 44.1 khz stream regardless of what the native sample rate of the files are.
This is also true irrespective of whether I try to use the DSP Manager to up-sample to any other rates higher than 44.1 khz.

Thus it appears that there is downsampling occurring internal to F2K which is disallowing higher native rates and restricting output to only 44.1 khz.

Can the developers please advise why this should not be functional when the High-definition audio output option is selected ?

I would like for it to function as implied, and as I mentioned the the ONKYO HF Player app does allow all rates to be throughput Natively when the option is selected within its interface.

I noticed an option to Save the Console log within the Advanced menu, I saved the log but am not sure where it can be located in order to send a copy for the developers to examine, please advise if you would like me to forward it.

Thanks for all your work thus far :-)

Eric Seaberg
July 10th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I just discovered this, as well. I also must assume the iPhone truncates to 16-bit regardless of the bit depth of the original file. Is this a fault with the hardware and we're stuck with it?

Eric Seaberg
July 10th, 2016, 06:22 PM
OK, tried a couple of things this afternoon. For my iPhone 6 I have an Oppo HA-2 as well as an HRT microStreamer. Both sound GREAT, but the HRT actually has LEDs on the side to alert you as to playback SR. I've also got an HRT iStreamer which only play 32k, 44.1 & 48 and I did try it this morning where it showed 44.1 all the time... but I digress.

Using the microStreamer with LED verification, anything played using Foobar2000 came out at 44.1, even 48k and using DSP to up-sample to 96k and the HRT never changed.

I do have 48k AAC files in iTunes, streaming from the cloud, and opened one of those to make sure the phone would play it. Immediately the HRT flipped over to 48k.

Since I'm home and have a SlimDevices server in the house, I opened iPeng on my phone which is a player specifically for SlimServer. I opened up a 96k album on the phone and hit play... the HRT flipped to 96k and converted the FLAC files with no problems.

So it seems Foobar outputs everything at 44.1, regardless of any other settings. Other than that, it's a GREAT APP!! Keep working on it!