PDA

View Full Version : What features from the desktop version would you like to see make the transition?

Wisma
April 14th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I would suggest people try to state their desired features/ideas/concepts and so on, in a comprehensible manner. Here are mine:

Shuffle Album - A feature lacking from most mobile music players, and one of my personal favorites from the original foobar2000
Customizability - For me, this seems to be the whole idea of foobar2000 and I hope the mobile app will also present endless possibilities

I could have added more, but I didn't want to be greedy :P

Lethal_Logan
April 15th, 2014, 03:27 AM
I believe the developers have already stated ReplayGain on the main page. But I'll mention it again for emphasis. ReplayGain alone is the main reason I use Foobar2000. All the other stuff is just icing on the cake. Lightweight, customizability, powerful tagging, equalizer. Is there even a feature Foobar doesn't have?

But if Foobar did not have ReplayGain I would not use it, well at least not for listening to music as I dislike fiddling with volume controls. It is the first thing I look for when I'm trying out music players since you can quickly narrow down the good music players.

There is at least one open source music player with various clones on the Google Play Store that claims to have ReplayGain, but it only works for certain audio formats. Also the current biggest music player app on the Google Play Store does have ReplayGain support.

Qndrez
April 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
UPnP/DLNA support would be pretty awesome, even if it's just as a controller. Server/renderer would be great too.
With the (relatively) limited memory on mobile devices, i've started streaming FLAC over the LAN to all my devices.

RichterEX2
April 17th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Plugins, plain and simple. One player to rule them all!

That and the customizability, namely the custom playlist tables.

jkauff
April 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I have a huge live music collection. No portable player I've seen supports live music recordings, although some support gapless playback (none flawlessly). I would like to see the Live Music Tagger plugin become an integrated, easy-to-use feature of the mobile version. This would include an easier to access auto-number function and the ability to directly access the info.txt file for editing and tagging.

I'm a professional user interface designer with over 20 years' experience. I'd be happy to contribute ideas and sketches for how to make this work on a mobile device.

Dan
April 19th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure if it is possible but it'd be great if the desktop plugins were compatible with the mobile versions, but if not, porting over a few of the most popular plugins would be great. (Plugins aka Components.)

kode54
April 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM
As most of the mobile architectures aren't even x86 compatible, all components would need to be ported, assuming they are supported in the first place. All GUI code would also need to be gutted, as none of the platforms are Win32 compatible, and you wouldn't want desktop UI on a mobile device anyway.

jkauff
April 19th, 2014, 08:38 PM
As most of the mobile architectures aren't even x86 compatible, all components would need to be ported, assuming they are supported in the first place. All GUI code would also need to be gutted, as none of the platforms are Win32 compatible, and you wouldn't want desktop UI on a mobile device anyway.
Does this mean you guys will inventory the features of the current components and decide which features will be done in native code, or have you already settled on a basic feature set for the Alpha?

Once again, I think it's important to support the community of users that download live shows from dimeadozen.org and etree.org. The desktop fb2k is the only player that does, and that support could be a real differentiator for the mobile version.

kode54
April 19th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Maybe I should keep out of this for now.

spoon
April 20th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Certain platforms such as iOS cannot have externally added components, the application has to be a whole single item, it is then verified by Apple (skins are not classed as a component).

It is likely we will choose the components which are most suited to mobile and implement them.

Camo Yoshi
May 6th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Certain platforms such as iOS cannot have externally added components, the application has to be a whole single item, it is then verified by Apple (skins are not classed as a component).

It is likely we will choose the components which are most suited to mobile and implement them.

Or maybe just have it so Android and/or Windows Phone can do this? Pretty sure Android would allow it (Poweramp on Android is great example, it has plugin support).

q-stankovic
May 7th, 2014, 03:01 AM
The requests for an architecture that allows 3rd-party-plugins are a little bit strange: the opportunity for adding arbitrary features by plugins are demanded rather than saying which concrete functionality is desired on a mobile device. However it seems evident for me that a mobile version should't be a feature monster but a version with meaningful features that offers an exciting mobile experience. Why don't you just tell what you would like to be ported? :)

As a windows phone user i would be happy about the simple support of album artist tag. We are writing the year 2014 and in windows phone ( and even in the highly praised poweramp for android!) you have the same odd experience like in old devices where albums get splitted by artist tag in the device's library. Such things are more important!

Sunlex
June 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Please integrate the lyrics component with synchonized playback.

Also a solid rating and statistic system with the possibility to sync with other Foobar2000 Players. Like: Windows Foobar2000 (Master) is my main player and every other playback on other devices (slaves) should also be counted and added to my file-playback and rating statistic.

This would make music consumtion with Foobar2000 more personal and funnier because of the person related data. Even weather, time, bpm and ratings should influence random playback. - Just an idea

Shy
June 4th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Just allow to sort the album list by artist/album as well as by folder structure :).

noob^2
June 9th, 2014, 09:33 AM
it'd be cool if play count was available in mobile version, if possible, with syncing between players.

Aelius
June 14th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Realistically, I don't think plugins are going to be a viable option, so important components will have to be integrated, which opens the can of worms of software licensing; the foobar devs would have to ask permission from the developers of individual components to be included and they'd need the source and so on...

Here's my vote for functionality, however it ends up being implemented

Lyrics (I'm a fan of lyrics show panel 3)
replay gain override
playback statistics with sync*
Waveform seekbar :D

Would like to see, but won't really miss:
7-zip reader
UPNP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point and/or samba [streaming] support and/or some way to stream music from desktop over cellular/WAN
audioscrobbler

*As an owner of WindowsPhone and user of Win8, something that really should be taken advantage of is app linking and syncing. The playback statistics component on desktop can import and export an xml file; the windows[phone/RT] 8 apps can and should just share this information over the provided sync engine. Not sure if it would then be possible to sync that into the regular desktop client. Alternatively the xml could be exported as a file over onedrive and the desktop client could read that.

Blackjack1080
June 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
My main love is the customisable columns and displays, so as far as features go they are what I'd want...

• Custom 'columns' or UI elements
I import data from Discogs and keep it separate for completeness / ease, leading to columns with a pattern similar to this:
Genre - $if(%DISCOGS_GENRE%,%DISCOGS_GENRE%[ /$char(47) %DISCOGS_STYLE%],%GENRE%)
Album (Disc) - %album%[ '(CD '$if($greater(%TOTALDISCS%,1),%discnumber%,)')'][' - ('%CD_LABEL%')']

I also have two types of ratings which I use to search my music for either 'party' / 'chill' music, this may even grow one day, but it's nice to have both on the screen.

• A 'star' feature
My use would be to mark for changes - if I notice a spelling mistake, but I'm sure others would find other uses.
- This could also be incorporated in to the custom UI elements request, but the difference would be that it's interactive

• Custom search filters
Again, due to the custom tags I search and display based on combinations or even my own date-added
Date Added - %date_added%|$if2(%discogs_album_artist% - , %album artist% - )%album%[ '('%DISCOGS_CATALOG%')'][' ['%date%']']|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

Dayum I'm difficult, but that's what a wish list is for :)

Also, as a wish I don't expect to see come true (something that I might even try to make myself if custom components becomes a thing):
• Wave Seekbar - http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=77490

Relagen
June 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
1. I've noticed that some players do not work with a separate equalizer app, so having an EQ built-in would be an excellent feature.

2. Perhaps the biggest thing I dislike about other music apps I've used in Android is that file type and bit rate can't be seen and tags can't be edited. Implementing that would also be a great idea.

3. Others have mentioned, but I'm going to mention it again. Custom UI. It took me until after the fundraiser for this started to figure out how to make use of the scratchbox, but I'd hate to lose that in the switch to Android platform.

4. Last one, I want to keep the sortable, searchable library list, though I expect it would be something that normally hides and you pull it out from the side when you need it.

ManoShu
July 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Just allow to sort the album list by artist/album as well as by folder structure :).

This, i love the folder structure in foobar and in other players.

If possible, it would be awesome to have the ability to create, share and use 'skins'.
It could be a file containing data as colors, fonts and images to be used on a skin.
In the iOS case, someone can say if it's possible to load a text file with the skin's settings from the phone memory or from the web?

An really rough example would be this:

[NOW_PLAYING]
BGD_COLOR=AAF2F2F2 'kind of light grey with transparency
ICONS=icons.png 'a map with the icons in a single image divided by a grid

[TRACK_LIST]
BGD_COLOR=[...]

Tenebrous
July 17th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I echo Kode54 and Spoon's thoughts on plugin integration - it would be impractical/impossible to implement in an open a manner as on the desktop iterations, and I concur with q-stankovic on the idea that we should be requesting the features natively which we'd actually want the plugins for anyway. Let's not break the devs' backs ;)

The only plugin functionality I would like to see would be the last.fm audioscrobbler, so I'll drop another +1 in here for that. A crossfade feature would be excellent, and I've mentioned UPnP/DLNA in another thread. I also agree with some of the more interesting organisational comments here. Personally I sort things into playlists, so it would be nice to see the mobile UI keeping something similarly intuitive and configurable as tabs/menus for selecting them.

ps: And being able to swap - or at least import - .FPL files between/from network, cloud, or local sources would be great! Perhaps it might be useful to integrate a relative directory structure?

Decalicatan²
August 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Sorry if I'm not 100% clear, English is not my first language

1. As said before, a rating and statistics system (%play_count% etc.) that can be "easily" synced with foobar2000 apps on other device (desktop or mobile)
2. Grouped tracks in the playlist view (under progress according to the Phone Design Functionality Proposal 1 :) )
3. Stop after current
4. bookmarks for playlists

5. Wave seekbar! it's only to show off but it can be "the feature" that make the foobar2000 mobile app different from all the other music player in the app store.

6. Also an easy way to create/edit playlist on the desktop app and to import it in the mobile app

CRYPTiC
October 13th, 2014, 03:15 AM
My humble request is CUE file support for long DJ mixes

noob^2
October 13th, 2014, 12:16 PM
it's a rather unimportant feature, but can we have 'total time played' field?

Burt0n87
November 3rd, 2014, 04:05 AM
It would be nice to see the converter in a mobile release. But it's not soo important. ^^

YuusouAmazing
November 14th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I'm looking forward to more supported video game music sound files via the Game Emu Player plugin.

Xudonax
November 16th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I really have just one thing that I'm really missing in the default Windows Phone/Windows 8.1 media player, and that is stereo-to-binaural conversion. This, for me, greatly enhances the pleasure of listening to music, and it is something I have installed anywhere I'm able to. And if I interpret the source from the bs2b project (http://bs2b.sourceforge.net) correctly, it doesn't really seem to be much in terms of CPU power.

kode54
November 17th, 2014, 12:24 AM
I'm looking forward to more supported video game music sound files via the Game Emu Player plugin.
This has been added, and is in line for the next update, I hope.

I really have just one thing that I'm really missing in the default Windows Phone/Windows 8.1 media player, and that is stereo-to-binaural conversion. This, for me, greatly enhances the pleasure of listening to music, and it is something I have installed anywhere I'm able to. And if I interpret the source from the bs2b project (http://bs2b.sourceforge.net) correctly, it doesn't really seem to be much in terms of CPU power.
Doesn't Windows Phone have built-in Dolby Headphone filtering as of either 8 or 8.1? The option is enabled when you have headphones plugged in.

Vizzy
December 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM
waveform seekbar (best 3rd party component)
its cool/futuristic

kode54
December 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
A waveform seekbar could be implemented, but it would need to be significantly refactored, as I do not want to encumber our code base with all of the requirements of Zao's, such as Boost and CMake.

So pretty much, I'd probably use code similar to his for the calculation of peak waveform data, and possibly use FFT to generate a logarithmic spectrum bitmap at the same time, all in a background thread. With a handy queue of metadb_handles that need to be processed, and designed to immediately abort on shutdown if there are any still not scanned. And still support progressive display of tracks still being scanned. The FFT bitmaps could probably be stored as 8bpp PNGs or even JPEGs to save space in the app cache.

Now look what you made me do, you made me describe something in such detail that I don't really want to actually do it.

Vizzy
December 3rd, 2014, 03:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nFSebim.gif

rubbersoul
December 13th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Titleformat or analogous flexibility to define filtering views to browse our library (beyond the basic artist/album/track) with functions and access to full metadata.

Playlist sync between desktop/mobile

Excited to observe the app progress!

marcswede
January 3rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
I love Foobar2000 for its DSP toolbox: Great and exact tools to customize the sound!

Ok, so here is my list:

A) Channel customization:
-Reverse channels (L-R)
-Invert channels (Move stereo to rear ch's)
-Downmix stereo to mono

B) A good resampler (SoX or similar), ideally with fully customizable sample rate.

InetErgoSum
February 5th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I would like to see following features in the android version:

1) Very important: scalable fonts for library and playlist (almost no player on Android supports this)
Why? => On high resolution displays typically the fonts are to small and therefore not readable by my 50+ eyes.

2) Same flexibilty as on desktop version by title formatting for the items in the library and playlist including stars for rating

3) Playback statistic and sync with desktop version (I have a ident copy of my library from desktop on my phone's 128 GB SD-Card)

4) DSP: EQ and crossfeed [sic!] by Jan Meier (not crossfade)

5) UPnP controller / server would be nice, but not so important

randal1013
February 7th, 2015, 06:25 AM
from the desktop: tag editing, playback statistics, smart playlists, DSP, and facets.

additionally:
synchronize across platforms
stream over wifi and bluetooth

Keiji
April 18th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I would love to see ReplayGain and tag editing on the mobile version as they are the main features I've really missed on my current mobile music player.

The spectrogram would be a nice touch but I wouldn't mind if it was left out.

klaus_thorn
June 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM
* ReplayGain (per Track) :-)

* "Library Viewer" Tab (besides other playlist tabs), showing songs in my currently selected directory(in the library=directory tree)

* Default playlist Tab, catching the files opened via file associations (doubleclick in Windows/Intents in Android), thus protecting the other playlists from being overwritten by openend files.

* Search for Songs in my library

* Disabling of all video/album-art/graphic-eq distractions possible

* configurable Columns in playlist/library view

klaus_thorn
June 6th, 2015, 07:22 AM
* File Operations :-)

* Stop after Current

BakaYume
June 11th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Bitrate status bar or viewer would be nice. As I sink further into the Audiophile world/placebo effect, it helps confirms what I think I am hearing opposed to what is actually playing.

dewaski
June 21st, 2015, 07:39 PM
-Automatic replaygain scanning/updating of files missing tags in the background.
-Quick playlist creation on the fly, and ones that actually stick after saving (my winamp mobile playlists are always disappearing lol)

JegFolay
September 13th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Using the Alpha versions for a few months, why can't we actually make playlists on-the-go ?!? Or even make it out of a search result ?
It reads wells a directory, whether its classification (genre, year, artist, etc.) but we still can't play picked files on various directories.

spoon
September 14th, 2015, 03:53 AM
Playlist functionality will be added at a later time.

JegFolay
September 20th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Playlist functionality will be added at a later time.

Great news, thanks !

simonasterfeldt
October 2nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
I'll just name a few things that I'd like to see in the mobile version, some may already be there though:
shuffle, repeat, repeat one song, spectrum & spectrogram (you switch between one or the other), plugin compatibility(?), cue sheet editing (automatic one doesn't always work so I'd prefer manual one).

A question which isn't related to the topic here: Is it possible to get foobar on MP3's in the future? I'd like to have it on my Fiio X5 :-)

wiregrind
November 5th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I wish we could use plugins for reading chiptune files, it's perfect for a phone; the files are so tiny that you can cram hours of chip music in a few kilobytes.

marcswede
November 17th, 2015, 11:06 AM
- Desktop Foobar's ability to put the same DSP component multiple times in the DSP chain.
For example to load two different equalizer presets.

- The Graphic Equalizer by xnor.

AudioPleb
December 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm a minimalist: on the desktop I run the Vintage theme with no visualisations or album art, just Album List on the left, Playlist(s) on the right.
All I'm after is
-replicating the above look and feel - ie able to turn all visualisations and album art etc off, just displaying a couple of simple panes
-able to generate playlists on the fly (THANK YOU guys: I know its coming, but this is a major!) :D
-ability to select "view" filters per the desktop app

Additional 'nice to haves'
-would like the 'skip silence' DSP but can live without it and
-support for Monkey's Audio (.ape) files in addition to those already listed

djanssen
January 7th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I'm looking to build a simple music server using something like a WiFi equipped micro PC (e.g. Minix Neo X8-H plus or Neo U1 or Zotac ZBOX CI323 NANO-Plus) with a 1Tb SSD drive. Most of these devices run Android. It would be hardwired via S/PDIF through a DAC to the Amp.

Would it be possible to have a feature to sync the collection on one device (the music server, Android OS) with another device (a PC drive (W10) or NAS via LAN or cloud-based back-up source)? The idea here is that a PC/NAS drive can act as a back-up/dump which gets properly indexed, then automatically synced to the Music Server. Sync'ing would include all meta-data, playlists, settings, etc as desired.

goodiesguy
May 11th, 2016, 12:23 AM
At the very least I'd like to see the playback speed plugin added to it, it's nice to be able to play the odd song at a different speed like a turntable set to the wrong speed! :)

phool
May 25th, 2016, 03:20 AM
My two biggest things I would like to see ported over to the mobile version:
1. Cue sheet support - support for external and embedded cue sheets for any file format.
2. The ability to customise the library to create new "nodes" using title formatting and custom tags.

looser
May 25th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Metadata Browser (at least) or metadata editor even.

ZuphCud
May 26th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Being an audiophile, I'd like to hear the big HQ music files on my phone, such as 24bit/96kbs .flac and SACD (.dsf, .dff, what have you).

bricon
May 28th, 2016, 03:36 AM
Being an audiophile, I'd like to hear the big HQ music files on my phone, such as 24bit/96kbs .flac and SACD (.dsf, .dff, what have you).

I play 24/96 and 24/192 .flac files on my Andriod phone with the foobar2K mobile app.
I don't know about the other HD formats.

If your phone is of the "fruit" variety it is highly unlikely that you will be able to play HD files on it.

ZuphCud
May 28th, 2016, 04:57 AM
I play 24/96 and 24/192 .flac files on my Andriod phone with the foobar2K mobile app.
I don't know about the other HD formats.

If your phone is of the "fruit" variety it is highly unlikely that you will be able to play HD files on it.

I have an old phone with Android 4.0.3. I also use VLC player and the standard built-in audio player. They do play higher quality .flac files, whereas foobar2000 doesn't.

bricon
May 28th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I have an old phone with Android 4.0.3. I also use VLC player and the standard built-in audio player. They do play higher quality .flac files, whereas foobar2000 doesn't.

My phone's a Samsung 6 Edge with Android 5.1.1 and it certainly plays Hi-Def .flacs through the foobar app - with far better gapless performance than VLC.
f2K-mobile would be far better again if it supported cue files.

ZuphCud
May 28th, 2016, 08:11 AM
My phone's a Samsung 6 Edge with Android 5.1.1 and it certainly plays Hi-Def .flacs through the foobar app - with far better gapless performance than VLC.
So it's my phone. Fair enough.

Still I'd like fb2km to support SACD file types. The PC version has a plugin for that.

kode54
May 28th, 2016, 06:08 PM
You may be able to get uncompressed SACD file types playing, but compressed will not be playable. With the reference DST compression code, the decompression pretty much maxes out four cores of your desktop processor just playing one file. Forget about playing it on a dinky ARM processor.

deathdragonaw
May 31st, 2016, 03:57 PM
In my opinion the focus should be on the basic playback features of the desktop application, like:

multiple playlists and easy switching
queueing multiple songs and returning to the selected playback order
replay gain scanning

PinothyJ
June 12th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I would like support for custom sort rules <3.

Thanks…

esunetdude
June 28th, 2016, 01:49 AM
It would be nice to select the output audio device for systems that have more than one device.

Baldurien
June 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM
From the desktop, and for my use case of foobar2000 :

- Grouping by custom group
- Sorting by custom order
- The standard "Add from file/folder" without requering a Media library that scan some folder + "Remove duplicate file".

(1) and (2) is simple for me: I'm made a whole format to group and sort, so that my music is sorted:
- game OST first, with serie, serie_order (order of game in the serie, like FF III is before FF IV), game, ... etc.
- album artist, then album, then disc number (and disctitle), etc...

(3) is another problem I have with Android: I don't want my player to scan my whole SD card. I don't do that on Windows, because I don't add music every day and I don't think people do it so often.

Helios61
July 16th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Maybe it is possible to get a feature like "playback to -> 'upnp renderer'".

gonzalo2525
July 17th, 2016, 12:22 AM
-support for monkey audio .ape
and
tak .tak

lossless files

bmcelvan
August 5th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I think you're mistaken. I believe it "plays" those files but it doesn't actually output the music in anything other than 44.1Khz.

bmcelvan
August 5th, 2016, 01:09 PM
big BUMP here: seems to me the simplest thing with a music player is:

add songs to queue
quickly and easily swtich btween now playing-->playlist queue

But this app can't do that apparently...really don't understand how that wasn't the first thing built.

In my opinion the focus should be on the basic playback features of the desktop application, like:

multiple playlists and easy switching
queueing multiple songs and returning to the selected playback order
replay gain scanning

Timb5881
August 5th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Well as an iOS user, storage is an issue. Recently I purchased a couple of the Sandisk Ixpand drives, which are great for storing music files, it will even hold 24/96 files and play them back in the Ixpand app, but of course the iPad and iPhone only support 16/44(48) with internal dac. So with the free foobar mobile, I can now stream files from foobar on my pc, and on the iPhone I can use my little thumb drive dac. So my wish list item is the ability to stream hi Rez and dsd files that I could send out to my external dac via the lightning to USB cable. My cyberdrive clarity feather dac supports up to 24/384 and dsd. Also it would be nice to be able to play files from the Ixpand drive through the foobar mobile.

Anfarm
February 28th, 2017, 02:18 AM
I also support lyrics implementation à la Lyrics Show Panel 3.

SenJacob
March 18th, 2017, 11:53 AM
1. Lyrics show panel 3

2. USB audio support for 5.1 output and a 5.1 upmixer (Configuring usb to midi mode and using HibyMusic app works with my Rosewill rhts-8206, but I prefer to have USB audio support in foobar2000)

3. A button to scroll to Now playing item in media list. It is quite hard to find it when you have thousands of musics in your phone.