PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control on Android Devices

MinimalCrind
April 23rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Hi you Cracks!

I paid an Android-Supporter mainly because I wanted to donate something for the great foobar2000 (Windows application). I think it is worth 80$. I use one of the many Android remotecontrol-apps (foobar2000 controller PRO) which does a great job too.

Here my suggestion for the upcoming Android-app:

I still use an IPod to listen to music while on the road. One of the reasons why I don't use my "Samsung Galaxy S4 Active" is the problem with remote controls on Android devices. My Shure headphones provide a remote control (on the wire) for IPod/IPhone. The Skip/Stop functions are working on Android as well (Samsung Player app) but not the Volume +/-. Maybe this is a limitation of the Android OS and cannot be fixed by an app. But if you could manage to get IPod remote controls working I think this would be a great feature. Sure - there are Android headsets with complete remotecontrol-functionality around, but none with audiophile earphones. Maybe some day some manufacturer will do it - after all you would just need a remote control (maybe with a headset-mic too) where you could plug in the earphones of your choice.

I hope my poor english is not too difficult to understand. Keep up the good work.

Christian Roethlisberger

MinimalCrind
April 28th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I read some more about this topic and woluld like to share my findings (maybe I am the only one that is interested but anyway): Unfortunately it looks like there is no standard describing how Android devices should manage wired remotecontrols and headsets. Especially the volume +/- functionality seems to be a problem. Shure for example, has a remotecontrol/headset wire for IPhone/IPod called CBL-M+-K and another version called CBL-M-K for "other phones" without the volume +/- buttons. You can see it here (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/music-mobile/m-mplus-cables). It looks like this is a lost battle...

MinimalCrind
June 11th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Hmm. this definately seems not interessing anyone. Anyway - my final message about this topic:
No it is not a lost battle. A one-button-remote should do the trick albeit not very comfortable (it looks like the only way android devices react to remotecontrol). For example Ultrasone has made an android-app that looks highly configurable - made for one-button-remotecontrols - here (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ultrasone.iq). They write: "When running Ultrasone there are music player (=apps) that conflict directly with it. This happens because of the headphone control implementation in the player (=app). Try to disable this function in your player to achieve better results."
So - i think it will not be necessary to implement remote-control functionality in foobar2000mobile as there are other apps like Ultrasone that do this already.

kode54
June 11th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Or, at the very least, if effort is made to support it, it could be implemented in a way that also detects apps like Ultrasone and allows them to take over control instead.