PDA

View Full Version : Design intention of foobar2000 mobile

ackmanx
July 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
The promo video did not reveal much, so I am curious what the intention is for a deliverable. It looks like the mobile version is aiming to be a paid app based on the fundraising levels of donation.

Are you planning on the mobile version being similar to the desktop version? Will it keep the same minimalist design ideology or be radically different? I've always enjoyed how foobar2000 doesn't force everything on the user and allows for customization in most areas.

spoon
July 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM
The design will be fluid throughout the coding, we have not fixed plans just yet, first we do functionality, then the design last.

Edwin
August 24th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Using both Windows Phone as well as Windows RT I would be grateful if the latter is supported as well. Is it?

spoon
August 24th, 2014, 08:05 AM
It is difficult to 100% say about RT, it could be that the platform is not that popular, and the Intel tablets are the future and RT is just a footnote.

Edwin
August 24th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. Forgive me my ignorance, if Windows Phone is ready, what would it take to get a RT version? Would that be a matter of converting the WP version or built up from scratch?

Personally I don't think RT should not be considered to be a footnote and I think many would agree if they would only try - not intending to start a discussion here -

Anyway, if RT could be added, you'd do me a big favor ;)

spoon
August 25th, 2014, 04:21 AM
It is more about maintaining and testing (we would need RT hardware) an extra tablet version, a decision will be made closer to release.

pleomin
September 14th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Since Intel Atom tablets and netbooks are becoming more prevalent I think there's a want for a dedicated touch version. The desktop version is not too touch friendly and reacts a tad sluggish on these not too powerful devices, even when I'm using a more touch friendly theme. The Windows 8.1 app and WP 8.1 app can share the brunt of the codebase if you go the universal app route, at the expense of excluding a small amount of people with older WP devices that won't get the 8.1 update.
Most of these will probably be looking to upgrade soon or won't be the target audience anyway.

Additionally, a windows store version of Foobar2000 is my main reason for donating to this project.

onlyconnect
September 24th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Another vote for Windows RT; I have a Surface 2 tablet which is great but would benefit from foobar2000 mobile.

Tim

q-stankovic
September 24th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Me too, a RT tablet is definetely an option for me for the near future