PDA

View Full Version : Phone Design Functionality Proposal 1

spoon
August 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Here is the first design functionality proposal:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/fb-concept.png

spoon
August 5th, 2014, 04:29 AM
The free version would not have the playlist page.

Also a search function needs putting somehow on the browse page.

Playlist page might need a shuffle button (album or track based)

The button which reveals Setting, EQ, lock, can also have alarm clock.

The Save and load buttons for playlist, these can be removed onto the playlist name, ie click the name and get offered to save, save new, load, etc. Clear playlist however would remain on main screen.

spoon
August 5th, 2014, 04:33 AM
On this design the volume control is at the top, on other players it tends to be either above or below the play buttons. My reasoning, how often is the volume changed on screen? as most devices have buttons on outside, and how often would someone miss select volume whilst clicking play or skip.

spoon
August 5th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Tap and hold on > Add to playlist should read 'Play Now, Play Next, Play Later'

kaum
August 5th, 2014, 05:38 AM
What is the home button for on the browse page? (why is it not on every page?)
would there be a homepage/start page where the next step can be selected or should the start page be selected in the settings? I personally would like to see a start page from where I can go on (maybe it is too much as we deal at the moment with three pages)
Do you plan different design for each plattform (iOS, Android and Windows Phone)?
I don't think that a volumne control is necessary - but maybe a mute button (that opens the volumne control?).
Will there be a search (and not only browse) option?

spoon
August 5th, 2014, 05:45 AM
The home button takes the browse to the root menu. The browse will be more capable than any current mobile player, that means potentially you could be 5 selections deep.

Potentially Android and Windows Phone would get a slightly different design, depending on what users expect on that platform.

Mute? would you not simply click play to pause it?

Search is important and will be on the browse.

kaum
August 5th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Mute - of course pausing is the solution - I am watching too many videos where I rather mute than pause...
Are two sliders on one page not too much?
Is it really a benefit to have the volume control integrated in the app and not to use the system integrated mechanisms as you already point out (volume controls have often there own buttons)? Maybe it also depends on the systems the app runs on.

But another issue: What is about import and export of playlists? No controls visible on the third screen.

spoon
August 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Potentially the volume slider can be made less imposing,.

Import and export as load and save?

playhouse
August 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Potentially the volume slider can be made less imposing
On Android, it really doesn't make too much sense to have a volume slider at all. Pretty much every device has a hardware volume rocker. Once you press the rocker, a volume slider is superimposed over the current screen.

q-stankovic
August 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM
On windows phone i never used a volume slider in any music app and i don't miss it.

kode54
August 5th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I am watching too many videos where I rather mute than pause
That's okay, this isn't going to be a video player anyway.

q-stankovic
August 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I've tried to interpret the browser page and some of the arrows. Do you plan that on each level of browsing (genre -> artist -> album f.e.) the whole content is displayed as tracklist? If yes, what does the arrow to the right of the tracks mean?

spoon
August 6th, 2014, 06:56 PM
The arrow adds the folder content or a track, or album to the playlist.

The browsing would be similar to how Asset (a upnp server) handles browsing, it works as you would expect, track listing or album listing at the right moments.

q-stankovic
August 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM
(the following thoughts are inspired by the widely used panorama/pivot ui-function in windows phone apps)

The phone design proposal shows that you could be able to swipe between the three main pages. That reminds of the music hub that comes with several apps and also with the new xbox music app. But as it seems in the proposal you could swipe between the three main pages even if you has navigated from one page, mainly the browser page, some levels deeper. In that case all possibilities and advantages are lost which are known from windows phone apps where this panorama and pivot function is placed on several places of the app. In the next sentences i would like to combine the description of the advantages with some general requests in regard to the phone design and further functionality.

Let's say you start browsing your library from the browser page that offers several views in form of a list and you go from a genre view down to the listing of genres and then from here to Hip-Hop where you will find a subset of your library. In the concept of first phone design proposal (as far as i understood it correctly) you still can swipe to playback and playlist page from that point of browser. Exactly here let me ask for three features i consider as useful and amazing:

1) Spoon wrote that on some level of browsing it will be displayed what is mostly expected by the user. And now it is indeed the question what a user would expect. I think there are three basic entities of a library that each user could and would expect: album artist, album and tracks. To continue with the example from above: wouldn't it be useful after choosing Hi-Hop as genre that all three entities would be listed? These three lists could be organized in a panaroma view from which you can swipe from one list to another: a list of all Hip-Hop artists, all Hip-Hop albums and all Hip-Hop tracks. A nice addition would be now to have the ability to sort all the lists by meaningful critera, f.e. alphabetically, by number of playcount or whatever else.

2) Not only that you would have a powerful library by using panoramas, but you also could use that to introduce advanced shuffling playback that i so far have only experienced in poweramp, an popular android music player. An example: Let's say you are in an album page from where you can start playback - in normal mode the playback goes through the sorted albums and plays the tracks in its origin order. But is also imaginable to offer different playback modes: shuffle albums and keep origin order of tracks; shuffle tracks and keep origin order of tracks; shuffle albums and tracks. Another example: you have choosen Jazz as genre and you swipe to the tracks page - from here you sort tracks and pla them in that order. But you also could start a shuffled playback that plays all Jazz tracks in shuffled/random order.

3) A further advantage of a panorama is that you also could add pages that displays some meaningful information related to the level you have reached. F.e. many apps in windows phone (when you have entered the area of one certain artist) not only show
the albums and songs of an artist but also artist related info like: biography, similar artists, artist images. These are as far as i know free available by a service like echonest.

Ok, these are just some thoughts basing of experiences in the windows phone universe and its apps. As long as the starting hub of three main pages is small (three pages only) i think a button from which you can come to the root from where you have started is enough. Maybe an additional button could be useful which jumps directly to playback page.

I hope for some feedback. Thanks for reading!

spoon
August 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I think we are both reading from the same page...

q-stankovic
August 12th, 2014, 10:41 AM
means? :confused:;)

noob^2
August 12th, 2014, 06:30 PM
it's an idiom. When people are reading from the same page, they say the same things in public about an issue.

Qndrez
August 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM
On Android, it really doesn't make too much sense to have a volume slider at all. Pretty much every device has a hardware volume rocker. Once you press the rocker, a volume slider is superimposed over the current screen.

Having a volume slider might be useful if the hardware buttons can be remapped as skip buttons (no clue if that is a planned feature or not though).

jkauff
August 15th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Having a volume slider might be useful if the hardware buttons can be remapped as skip buttons (no clue if that is a planned feature or not though).
On an iPhone, the skip functionality (forward only, I think) is on the headphone button control. Although any type can be used on iPhone, most people probably use headphones with the Apple-style button control. That said, I'd be in favor of adding skip functionality to the volume controls on the phone (maybe pressing both buttons simultaneously).

funkyass
August 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM

and for those that don't realize they have volume buttons on their phones.

playhouse
August 23rd, 2014, 01:59 AM
and for those that don't realize they have volume buttons on their phones.
Some Business 101 for you...

When designing and marketing a product, you typically aim the product at a target audience. The target audience might not have been pinned down 100% by the foobar mobile devs just yet. However, I think it is fair to say that people who don't realize they have volume buttons on their phone are NOT in the target audience of a foobar product.

Canar
August 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM
If I didn't have control over what the volume rocker buttons did, the app sure wouldn't feel like foobar2000 to me.

Aelius
September 13th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Usefulness of volumebar is questionable on a mobile phone. I'd use it on a Tablet (windows RT) but not a phone. I don't necessarily object to having it though, especially since it can be hidden.

Glad to see that the ModernUi design philosophy seems to be incorporated a bit, but it needs improvement, if only for the windowsphone version.

I have one major objection: a swiping gesture for previous/next track is absolutely superior to a button approach. You'd be better served by swiping to the left/right for next/previous (in that order), up and down for volume, tap screen for playpause (double tap for random track? configurable perhaps), and use on screen buttons for navigating pages.

Playback control should be easily and lazily done on a mobile device. When I'm driving in my car I should be able to just swipe my phone's screen to change the track without having to look at it, much less aim for a specific object.

playhouse
September 13th, 2014, 03:24 AM
One comment regarding the proposed playlist view on page 3.

I think it would be nice to have a little symbol next to each item in the playlist. You can then move playlist items by touching the screen and dragging-and-dropping the item, conditional on beginning the dragging motion on the symbol.

I hope this description makes sense. In other words, I like how the movement of playlist items is implemented, for example, in the app Poweramp. You can start dragging as soon as you touch the symbol next to the playlist item. To me, this is much more efficient than the popular alternative. The popular alternative is that you tap-and-hold a playlist item to activate drag-and-drop. You can only start to drag after holding the item for a second or two. I find this delay unsatisfying. It really slows down the re-arrangement of playlists.

Wisma
September 13th, 2014, 12:15 PM
On the whole volume slider debate, I'm all in on removal, or at least makin it a hidden menu. On mobile device design screen real estate is everything! You can't use any on something that only has a little functionality and no real design purpose. But, having an option (show/hide sliders) in settings never hurt anyone.

I wholeheartedly agree with Aelius on everything he has to say with regards to swiping. On the back of this I say there should be an option to remove prev, play and next buttons in favor of swiping. As far as I'm concerned the playback screen should be all about the album art! But again, I would like this to be an option in settings menu (all in on customization!).

bilditup1
September 23rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
I don't understand why the up or down arrows in the third sketch should save the playlist.
I say we eliminate the volume bar and add in some more flexibility in terms of what information is shown on the three or four lines below the album art, somewhat akin to GoneMAD. Or maybe when the user clicks the volume buttons, the app 'takes over' and shows its own volume control slider that drops down, instead of the OSs. But having it always be there? Naw.
(Also: hi everyone!)

q-stankovic
September 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Why not the same kind of volume slider like in fb2k's status bar: just an icon, but then you tap it a slider opens. I think i saw such a slider in an music app.

pleomin
November 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Just butting in to say that for WP the DSAudio app (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ds-audio/30d353e3-9ca6-458a-a88e-c972fc3e04d6) from Synology might be a good starting point, design wise, as it does a lot of things right IMO.

q-stankovic
November 15th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I don't know the DSaudio app, but in regard to aesthetics it doesn't really fit to wp principles: many wp users would call the background with colour ingeredient ugly. I think former Nokia mix radio and Xbox music player represent what the user expect from a wp app.

q-stankovic
December 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Here another music app that matches aesthetically what we wp user expect. Please note that foobar2000 mobiles success on windows phone will be definetely higher if it correspondends to the typical wp designelines. The modern layout of apps should not be underrated.

http://www.windowsphone.com/de-de/store/app/onemusic/768cc236-734b-404c-ab82-d7958bdcf43c

randal1013
July 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
windows phone user here. I don't know if I'm too late, but the app needs a stop button. every music app I've tried only has a pause button. this causes a problem when I'm removing music files from my phone. the file that's paused will not delete because the app is still "using" the file even though it's not playing. if the app had a stop button, that would neatly solve the problem. also, and this may be more of a wishlist item, but I would love it if the app had a stop-after-current button as well.

TheLink
August 4th, 2015, 03:25 AM
foobar2000 uses long tap to stop. I guess it will be implemented on win phone the same way.

celroid
September 11th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I'm not a fan of the starting menu with all the browsing types. I understand that foobar2k's strength is in the skins, but so far all skins i've seen are just different colors. I'm not following the development closely but i hope this improves to compete with music players like blackplayer and phonograph. Good work on features so far.

RichardFlack
November 7th, 2018, 10:51 AM
So what happened to the Home button? :confused: