PDA

View Full Version : USB Out Streaming Support

mistyvales
February 4th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I know this is most likely dependant on hardware and the OS capabilites, but will foobar mobile have any option to output data through the USB port to play through external DAC, etc? I know Apple has their "MFi" deal that supports 16/44-48 and I'm sure Android flavours have their own. I'm super intereted in the WP8/10 version and am amazed that the team is even supporting that platform considering the low usage numbers, but I really appreciate it!

spoon
February 4th, 2015, 02:48 PM
It is likely we will support, if is possible to.

root
May 12th, 2015, 05:42 PM
This is something I am keenly interested in! Right now, in order to use my HRT dSp DAC with my android 4.4 phone, I have to play through "USB Audio Player PRO" (by eXtream Software Development. It does allow my HRT dSp to actually work with the phone (which is nice), but the music player/library interfacing is nothing to write home about.

I'd love to see foobar2000 either do something similar to not just support USB Host mode, but to actually do the audio rendering like the app I mentioned above does, or heck, partner with eXtream in order to use their existing code in conjunction with foobar2000... that would truly be awesome and you'd have nearly full USB DAC support, instead of relying on Android to maybe/maybe not pass audio out over USB to some selected DACs. Doesn't necessarily have to be a complete ingestion of their code, it could just be some hooks that they agree to allow that you could latch foobar2000 onto.

Such an approach would also be good in the every likely scenario that Android just breaks USB audio out in future versions (they seem to be backing off of supporting it, oddly, and it makes me nervous).

Being able to leverage the power of my USB DAC in conjunction with the upcoming awesomeness that is foobar2000 would rock my socks off!

Please consider this a VERY enthusiastic vote for support of external DACS in as thorough a fashion as possible!

gabe
May 12th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I will go along with the rest here and say that USB out would be awesome!