Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: Transfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wi-fi with UPnP

Administrator

GUIDE: Transfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wi-fi with UPnP

Note, as for foobar2000 mobile 1.0.50 beta, the built-in FTP server makes these things much easier. If you're running the newest beta, you should probably look into FTP functionality first.

How to trasnfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wifi / UPnP
    Compatible with: all versions of foobar2000 mobile.
    Particularly relevant to iOS version as it lets you transfer media without using iTunes.

Step 1: install one of supported UPnP music servers

Step 2: In your foobar2000 mobile, browse "UPnP media servers"

Step 3: Locate the album you wish to download to your device
    Or a whole larger folder, such as whole artist. Careful with transferring too much at once - see notes at the bottom about long-running transfers.

Step 4: Tap-hold the folder, choose 'Download'

Step 5: Choose download options
    Some UPnP servers serve content in multiple formats, you will typically want to download in original format such as MP3.
    On Android you may also choose the target location.

Step 6: Download
    Note that downloading lots of content may upset your phone's power management.
    • iOS: Keeping audio playing while transferring will keep iOS from shutting us down.
    • Android: It Just Works (tm), no special workarounds necessary.
    • Windows Phone: The most restrictive of all systems, our transfer gets suspended if foobar2000 app loses focus ( another app becomes active or the device becomes locked ). We're hoping to improve this in future updates.

Once completed, a library rescan pass will be initiated automatically.

Re: GUIDE: Transfer music to foobar2000 mobile over wi-fi

this is great news!

question: will the transfer ignore duplicate songs?

works for me on WP8.1 (Lumia 925)
    I have Asset (5.2 beta) installed. While browsing foobar mobile 1.1 shows my computer and users and I can select and download music as intended. But I have one question: When browsing the music via my AVR (Yamaha RX-V479) or TV (Samsung), I get an additional option that I can browse the music over Asset on my computer and over my computer's username - this is missing here on my phone - is that intended?

P.S.: I see now that this looks like to be an Asset 5.2 beta problem as also now my Yamaha is not showing it although Asset runs
    Last edited by kaum; September 23rd, 2015 at 09:15 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by randal1013 View Post
    this is great news!

question: will the transfer ignore duplicate songs?
    It's been preconfigured to disregard Asset's [All <something>] folders if that's what you want it to skip. Other than that, nope it does not skip duplicates yet.

We need to come up with a better syncing scheme than this eventually.

I don't think this feature is particularly useful just yet. I might as well share my music folder on my desktop (via SMB/CIFS or the like) and use a file manager to download to my mobile device. That's probably faster and less error-prone than setting up foobar and uPnP.

So I'm glad to read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We need to come up with a better syncing scheme than this eventually.
    What I think is desirable is the following. Set certain playlists in foobar (desktop) for syncing to the mobile device. I can specify conversion setting according to which the lossless audio files in those playlists can be converted prior to transferring them to the mobile device. (There should probably be an option to leave lossy files as-is.) Then, foobar2000 transfers the converted files over to the smartphones as well as the playlists.

This should ideally work manually (push a botton in foobar mobile to start the process) as well as according to some time table (of course, the automatic sync only starts if both devices are in the same local network and foobar is active on both devices).

I'd like to see an option which gives a warning (or stops the sync) when the file size of the audio on the smartphone (or the size of the transfer) exceeds some limit.

IMO, that would be a solid syncing solution similar to what I've seen in competing products. Of course, icing on the cake would be certain bi-directional syncing features. E.g., when I play a file on my mobile device, the play count in foobar desktop in incremented during the next sync. Or there's a option to copy files purchased on the mobile device onto the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by playhouse View Post
    I don't think this feature is particularly useful just yet. I might as well share my music folder on my desktop (via SMB/CIFS or the like) and use a file manager to download to my mobile device. That's probably faster and less error-prone than setting up foobar and uPnP.
    I disagree with this. As I am running Asset anyway, I think this is a great option for me. And I think you do not even need Foobar and Asset for it - as I got access to my computer music over the Windows 10 streaming option anyway.

I support your other suggestions.

This feature is fantastic!! Thank you so much. Wow. This is the easiest, most painless way I have ever experienced transferring a Foobar desktop playlist to a mobile device.
    Thank you again.

really fantastic feature!! thx for that.

will there be a possibility to also write data to an external sd-card on an android 6.0.1 mobile?
    at the moment i always get "denied"

when i choose the internal storage everything is fine.
    i do have a small internal storage but a very huge sd-card, so i would like to use the sd-card for foobar-music

or do i miss something to allow foobar write-access to the external sd-card?

Thank you so much, I finally can forget about Itunes, plus I can play all my Flacs on Iphone. This works great. The only thing I should mention is that I was not abble to download any track straight from the media library but had instead to download a playlist that was loaded on my computer's foobar (I hope I am expressing myself properly). Anyway I am sure this will get ever better. Thanks again.

Hi, my Foobar Mobile is not detecting my upnp server. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Running the latest versions on Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1.