Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: WP8.1 version feedback

Administrator

Re: WP8.1 version feedback

All bug reports noted, thanks for your patience. I'm rounding up the remaining issues and a major bugfix update is on its way.

In response to Mike's earlier post:

My apologies... I got my builds mixed up. Windows Mobile is still in the 15xxx branch, not the 16xxx branch. I quoted my desktop build. My 950xl is on build 15228.0. IMHO, it is very stable, aside from an apparent issue with the store causing updates to either not happen or fail. (that is all over the feedback hub and seems to impact LOTS of ppl currently). BTW, it's quite safe to assume that the Autumn Update for mobile will either not happen and/or be wholly trivial. All the recent insider builds for mobile were only bug-fixes (albeit good ones!) with and no feature updates. Frankly, most of the AU features are not relevant to mobile anyways and/or would be mainly cosmetic. So I can recommend getting back in the insider slow ring, 15228 runs really well for me. And do does Foobar.
    You might also want to try a hard reset - just for good measure.
    Last edited by damasta; July 25th, 2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: overlapping posts caused mine to slip out of context

Points for developers

Hi!
    Here are some points for developers accumulated to express.

1. New from the past. Latest ver. has i-radio artist-title problem.
    2. Back me up. Please update beta version, at present it has "Loading skin..." hangup. It is much easier to update foobar2000 Mobile when you know that you have one version more reserved.
    3. Ease and comfort. Are you planning to reform main menu? Maybe something like tabbed interface? Just try to switch a couple times from playlists menu to any media server and back. "Add to playlist" command wanted having a drop-down list to choose certain one from existing or creation of a new one.
    4. Ghosts are living here. I've experienced absence of popup-menu after long-tap on item. Bug has disappeared after some my actions. Noticed only once, using rarely, who knows when I'll notice it again?
    5. Speed is never enough. Device's Music Library - slowly opens upon startup. Not able to add track to playlist (long-tap action). Overall performance of main menu is poor, annoying delays here and there.

Administrator

Re: Points for developers

The beta channel is gone. Please use regular channel, it has all features enabled and newer codebase now. Due to annoying toolchain & slow website, I'm longer pushing two separate versions.

As for slow Music library browsing, this is WinRT's awesome file API at work, it compares only to Android's Storage Access Framework in terms of annoyance levels. I cannot do anything to fix it. I really tried.

As for other bugs, this is a good moment to bring them up, major update (possibly the last WP81 build) will be out soon.

Hi Peter,

sounds great! Does than mean you will end Windows Mobile altogether? Or will you port to a W10 universal app? (which I hope!)

Also: I can't confirm Seymour's performance issues - although "Speed" is often subjective. I have between 300-500 items in my music library stored on the SD-Card in my L950xl at any time. I find the library typically opens in max. 3-4 seconds, which is just fine by me.

Hi Peter,
    thanks for your soon response!

Head up! Not a moment for retirement! =)

Beta version. Could you just publish beta which has no critical bugs? Needed to do it once.
    What about points 1 and 3 from my previous post? Any details needed?

Administrator

Re Universal Windows Platform-

We already provide builds for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Universal (which run on Windows Phone 10 devices). Support for Windows Phone 8.1 on our end is about to be terminated, but not before I push one more build with no critical bugs (and some new features added).

Re speed-

I've been investigating browsing lag on my Lumia 640XL, and it's the system that is to blame not us. Startup of pre-populated listview is slow for no good reason, can take a noticeable fraction of a second to load a simple page. Funnily, the views that we delay-load (media servers, etc) are less annoying - "please wait" prompt appears instantly, then actual content follows in a moment. However, backtracing to such view is still slow as the items are already there.

I made a very simple hello world app with most trivial pre-populated list views duplicating what foobar2000 mobile does and it lags the same way as we do.

There has to be a solution to this nonsense - by reimplementing offending system functionality, but it's not worth the trouble at this time. Other platforms do not suffer from the same.

Re Internet radio-

Fixed for the next update, thanks for reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Re speed-

I've been investigating browsing lag on my Lumia 640XL, and it's the system that is to blame not us. Startup of pre-populated listview is slow for no good reason, can take a noticeable fraction of a second to load a simple page. Funnily, the views that we delay-load (media servers, etc) are less annoying - "please wait" prompt appears instantly, then actual content follows in a moment. However, backtracing to such view is still slow as the items are already there.

I made a very simple hello world app with most trivial pre-populated list views duplicating what foobar2000 mobile does and it lags the same way as we do.

There has to be a solution to this nonsense - by reimplementing offending system functionality, but it's not worth the trouble at this time. Other platforms do not suffer from the same.
    Sorry I need to clarify - I feel I may have been misunderstood. And/or I misunderstood you. I, at least, have NO performance issues. Here is a short clip of me operating Foobar2000 on my 950xl:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6lsxesTTtFXJDn0ZkXA

ALL browsing is practically instant, with NO significant lags or loading time.

I'm on Windows build 15230.0, Foobar version 1.0.85 and store package 1.3.58.

I guess I'm trying to say: Windows 10 mobile is either fixed, or something else is causing Seymour's performance issues, or my hardware is just faster, or I'm barking up the wrong tree. ;-)
    But speed is NOT a general/global issue.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by damasta View Post
    Sorry I need to clarify - I feel I may have been misunderstood. And/or I misunderstood you. I, at least, have NO performance issues. Here is a short clip of me operating Foobar2000 on my 950xl:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoQI5_3ipPc6lsxesTTtFXJDn0ZkXA
    Thanks for the video, it's interesting to see how it performs on alternate devices - after having stared at the same on my own Lumia 640XL.

Anyway, the glitch that's been bothering me is there on the video-

When you tap a library browse tree section - or try to backtrace to another view by tapping 'back', there is a split second delay before the UI responds. In fact, just cycling between initial browsing page and tools page is considerably lagged on my devices - and this should be instant.

Actually scrolling and all operations on already-running lists are good, we employ asynchronous loading of pictures to keep things as smooth as possible. Just the opening a list ( or backtracing to a list that was loaded before ) lags.

Anyway, version 1.0.88 is out - list of changes here.

Hi!
    Happy to say, this morning I've updated both (beta and mobile) foobar2000. And my good mood will not fail for the rest of the day and a couple of weeks more for sure! Unless I'll face with any more critical bugs. ;-)

Thank you Peter for your care! You are very good supporter.

damasta, thank you too for your video report. Helps me to realize how slow my smartphone is. ;-) So-named tap-lag in your example almost reaches the half-a-second. Though it is much shorter (more than twice) compared to my phone, it's still noticeable.
    Thanks go to Peter again for the investigation he made and for the thorough explanation. Now I'll keep it in mind and will not suffer anymore. ;-)

Regarding my motives and participation in this thread. Among the things that captivated me to have a WP8.1-operated device were UI smoothness, low-lag, stability. Now, after the foobar2000 mobile birth and development, I have clear feeling of rude reality. ;-) And it forcing me to change platform (Android on Samsung may be).

Please just try to keep WP8.1 support alive as far as you can. At least until I'll make a notice that my smartphone is broken.