Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: WP8.1 version feedback

Re: WP8.1 version feedback

Oh, just now updated to version 1.0.14, and Browse screen is empty. Playback screen is OK. Rebooted OS - no change.

Yesterday I had emptiness on both (Browse and Playback) screens. Looked like nothing was going on with GUI. No buttons to tap (I've tried to find an area to make some action), no swipe to perform. Nothing to do but restart foobar2000. After that, still have empty Browse/Settings screen.

Administrator

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Just a heads up: all bug reports have been noted and will be dealt with. We're a bit low on development resources; after in-house testing has been shifted to Windows 10 phones it seems we have bugs that affect 8.1 devices but not those upgraded to 10.

Now that windows 10 mobile is officially rolling out, I wonder if it's even worthwhile to continue developing an 8.1 app.

Administrator

Code for Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1 is 99.9% the same, there's no reason to drop 8.1, especially considering how ancient OS versions we support with Android and iOS.

Re: slow browse of device's music library-
    All access to device's user-visible filesystem using is done using a special WinRT API and it's ridiculously slow. Only access to foobar2000's own private data folder is fast. I've done what I could to speed this up and it's still ridiculously slow, modern Lumias get totally beaten by Samsung Galaxy Ace or iPod Touch 4gen at media indexing performance.

At some point soon I'll be working on a proper way to sync foobar2000 content with a desktop machine that will let you write directly to foobar2000's private folder with no slow browsing issues.

Re: confirm before delete-
    Thanks for the report, this is indeed dangerous, it's being addressed on all 3 platforms for the next update.

Re: blank screen bug
    Seymour, I'd like to know what exact device and Windows Phone OS you're using (from phone about page).
    Last edited by Peter; March 25th, 2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: + more

Hi, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Code for Windows 10 and Windows Phone 8.1 is 99.9% the same, there's no reason to drop 8.1, especially considering how ancient OS versions we support with Android and iOS.
    That is encouraging!
    ...modern Lumias get totally beaten by Samsung Galaxy Ace or iPod Touch 4gen at media indexing performance.
    May be there is no need to show comparison, only wanted acceptable response level, smooth browse feel. Anyway, at the present time it's slightly unclear for me how it'll be performed. Just looking forward! =) (As a foobar2000 desktop-version user, I use system explorer quite rare, playlist is enough for most my activities).
    From my understanding, the key difference is (or will be) in place where to keep music files. For now my tunes are located in "Music" folder on SD-card.
    At some point soon I'll be working on a proper way to sync foobar2000 content with a desktop machine that will let you write directly to foobar2000's private folder with no slow browsing issues.
    Will it be possible to tell program where to place foobar2000's private folder (since my device supports microSD card)?
    Thanks for the report, this is indeed dangerous, it's being addressed on all 3 platforms for the next update.
    You are always welcome! =)
    Seymour, I'd like to know what exact device and Windows Phone OS you're using (from phone about page).
    Kindly refer to my user profile, Biography section. =)

Administrator

Regarding Windows Phone vs Android performance comparison,

Windows Phone has some totally awesome concepts regarding fluid user experience and asynchronous programming; ones not seen on the other platforms.

However, filesystem performance (of accessing shared music/documents folders) totally boggles my mind.

To clarify, all apps can access their own private data using classic Win32 API, ReadFile() and so on. That does not seem to suffer from performance issues. However, any shared data ( SD card Documents / Music / etc ) must be accessed using new Windows::Storage APIs, which are ridiculously slow to use and impose various restrictions.

Examples of silly restrictions:
    • Files flagged as hidden+system care effectively invisible to us, there is no way to access them, so the universal app cannot ever see folder.jpg files that have been flagged as hidden+system.
    • All write operations are transacted. While this makes sense in general, it seems to be horribly implemented - just opening the file for writing without actually altering it results in a full temp file + rewrite cycle!
      CORRECTION OK, just found out this isn't entirely true, you can perform classic non transacted writes also; confusing method naming got me thinking there's no way to do this. One great pain solved, console logging works like it should. Phew.

Finally, Windows::Storage API makes even the most basic operations pointlessly slow to execute, such as listing folder contents which should be instant on flash storage. While this is OK for one-time media library indexing, browsing by folders will always be somewhat lagged. I've spent countless development hours trying to work around this and wrote sophisticated code to walk Music folder contents using multiple threads, but speedups achieved seem to be minimal.

For comparison, I put my 8GB music SD card (1444 tracks) in various phones, made clean installs of foobar2000 mobile v1.0.14 from individual app stores and let the library finish scanning after cold boot:
    • Samsung Galaxy Ace: 0:53:498
    • HTC One Mini2: 0:42:424
    • Lumia 640XL, Windows 10: 1:56:656
    Note that the Samsung Galaxy Ace is my low-anchor fb2k mobile device device, it's the oldest and slowest thing I test on. As you can see, Lumia 640XL should be faster in every possible way than the old Samsung, yet it loses badly. I really hope there's some idiotic problem with my code that can be fixed to remedy this, but I've already spent countless development hours on trying to find one and made no progress.

Haha I looked over all of your posts yesterday but missed the profile thanks, I'll be investigating this.

Re: private profile folder
    It is apparently possible to browse it if you move your foobar2000 installation to a SD card that you can take out, but not read or alter the files themselves, they're somehow encrypted or otherwise obfuscated. I've tried it and could not add more content to foobar2000 folder this way.
    Last edited by Peter; March 30th, 2016 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Corrected wrong info about transacted writes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    ...filesystem performance (of accessing shared music/documents folders)...
    ...all apps can access their own private data using classic Win32 API, ReadFile() and so on. That does not seem to suffer from performance issues. However, any shared data ( SD card Documents / Music / etc ) must be accessed using new Windows::Storage APIs, which are ridiculously slow to use and impose various restrictions...
    A suggestion: what if to browse not current file system but some its image which is constructed, for example, during a library scan.
    Haha I looked over all of your posts yesterday but missed the profile thanks, I'll be investigating this.
    Peter, I'm frankly impressed by your persistence and amazed at how you keep in your right mind with "those countless development hours on trying to find a remedy". =) Windows Phone makes a real trial to you!
    Re: private profile folder
    It is apparently possible to browse it if you move your foobar2000 installation to a SD card that you can take out, but not read or alter the files themselves, they're somehow encrypted or otherwise obfuscated. I've tried it and could not add more content to foobar2000 folder this way.
    Thank you for the hint, going to try it later, whatever it will result.
    Last edited by Seymour; March 27th, 2016 at 01:48 PM.

Administrator

BTW.
    Since one of the recent updates you can move files between foobar2000's private folder and system music folder on Windows devices, using context menus.

As for blackscreen bug-
    I have it on my Lumia 520 now. However it gets even more "fun" than this - build downloaded from Windows Store is appears to be genuinely f***ed, either crashes on startup or blackscreens each time, while build installed through Microsoft Visual Studio functions properly....

Administrator

Version 1.0.15 up, with various noncritical fixes.

I added new debug logging features to get some info about the blank screen, but now blank screen is gone from both my Windows Phone 8.1 devices.... I think the blank screen issue is really some bug in Windows Phone store, not in the application.

If you manage to recreate it, here's what you need to do to pull console logs:
    • Connect your phone to your PC, open your "Music" folder, create a subfolder named "foobar2000-mobile-console-logs"
    • Launch foobar2000, console logs will be written there regardless of configured console log output folder
    • Make sure to detach the phone from your PC and re-attach before copying logs to the PC or else newly created files will not be seen! Talk about annoying design.
    • Make an archive of the "foobar2000-mobile-console-logs" folder and send to me (p@perkele.cc).