Thread: Storing playlists in an easily accessible location

Storing playlists in an easily accessible location

Hi,

I've spent several hours making playlists on mobile, because it's not possible to transfer playlists between PC and mobile. I switched SD cards and now all my playlists are gone. This is very frustrating. I'm not familiar with how stuff like this works on Android, but since playlists are just text files I hope it might be possible to store them in an easily accessible place on the device. This would make it a breeze to transfer playlists between PC and mobile and also to backup playlists for transfer between mobile devices. Any way to change all the pointers in the playlist to the new location would also work; I know the new file location path, and Foobar Mobile tells me what the old path is, there's just no way to change the paths in the playlist.

I'm obviously not looking forward to spending around 10 hours rebuilding all my playlists and the more I think about that, the more I realize I should probably just start using a player with playlist support. I love Foobar. Why is this even a thing??

Re: Storing playlists in an easily accessible location

I agree with this sentiment. I remember reading about Foobar2000 and how it was built around playlists. I never used them much until I started carrying Foobar around with me on my smartphone. Suddenly I realized the power of creating a playlists. But then I learned that Foobar Mobile doesn't really allow you to do much with playlists. Even search through by name (let alone by song, or seeing what playlists a given song is included in).

Next I went over to my Foobar2000 instance and thought that I could easier create/maintain playlists there, after all, that is what Foobar2000 is all about. Except it's not. Once again, there is limited to no playlist management. If I have a hundred playlists, I have to have a hundred tabs open. Sure, you can save them as m3u, but when I've tried to reload them, sorting is different. Besides, if I change the reopened playlist, I have to resave it as an m3u since Foobar2000 converts it to its internal format.

But, even then, I figured something is better than nothing. So I tried to bring my playlists over to Foobar Mobile. Well that was frustrating! I can do it, but m3u playlists dont show an icon in Foobar Mobile. Once again, there is no searching through playlists. I feel like there is a lot of opportunity, but not much implementation. My chief frustration is that (and maybe I built it up in my mind) that Foobar2000 makes a big deal about playlists.

Having said all of that, I realize that this is a solidly performing piece of free software (both mobile and Foobar2000). Many thanks to the developers for their time/effort!

Re: Storing playlists in an easily accessible location

Hi,
    I'am also looking for the feature to export created playlists as m3u files and store them on my SD card. My goal is to sync them between Desktop and Mobile, syncing is already done by a Nextcloud instance. I'am aware of the absolute/relative path challenges and have solved it already for the (Desktop->Mobile way). Many thanks in advance. Keep going building a great player.