I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 where I had installed Android 9 (lineage 16). That was so terrible slow that I went back to Android 6 (cm 13). It worked well, but after installing and running foobar2000 the device started a reboot loop that I was unable to recover, so I installed Android 7.1 (cm 14.1). There it works.
From that experience I guess that either the APK metadata is wrong, allowing installation on an incompatible device, or the build options are wrong, using features the target platform does not have.
Of course Android should be robust enough, not to get killed by a bad app. Unfortunately I was not able to capture the messages that led to a reboot.