Thread: iPhone 11 Playback issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

iPhone 11 Playback issue

Hi!

Similar problem to another poster but I wasn't sure if it was the same so I thought I'd make a new thread; hope that's OK.

If I play an album, I can listen to a song all the way through but if the phone is locked, it won't go onto the next one. Works fine if the phone is unlocked.

Some details:

foobar2000 Mobile version 1.1.53
    FFMpeg version 3.3.3
    iPhone 11 (not the pro!)
    Issue present in iOS 13.2.2 and 13.2.3

Pulling from the log yields interesting results:

Code:
    Media library: scan ended, changed: no, time: 0:00.048
    Opening track for playback: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/04 AUSLA&*776;NDER.mp3"
    CoreAudio: opening 16bit 44100Hz 2ch
    Opening track for playback: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/04 AUSLA&*776;NDER.mp3"
    CoreAudio: opening 16bit 44100Hz 2ch
    Opening track for playback: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/05 SEX.mp3"
    Playback error: Access denied
    On: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/05 SEX.mp3"
    CoreAudio: opening 16bit 44100Hz 1ch
    Opening track for playback: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/06 PUPPE.mp3"
    Playback error: Access denied
    On: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/06 PUPPE.mp3"
    Opening track for playback: "~/Documents/Rammstein - Rammstein (2019) [320]/07 WAS ICH LIEBE.mp3"
    Monitoring: foobar2000 Music Folder : file://~/Documents
    Media library: scan beginning
    It fails to open the file, and then tries successive songs on the album with the same result. The last entry (where it successfully opens the 7th track) is when I unlocked the phone. The duplicate log entries at the beginning for the same song are I suspect when I connected my headphones over bluetooth (though this bug can reliably be invoked without headphones), it paused and I hit play again.

I would say it's something to do with iOS limiting disk reads reads while the device is locked, but you'd know more than me!

Hope this is helpful, and if I can do anything else or provide any other data, do let me know.

Cheers!

Re: iPhone 11 Playback issue

Morning all! Another data point for you:

If I use iTunes to transfer an album to the phone and then play it back with the native Music app, it works as expected when the phone is locked. I guess this blows my theory of some filesystem access control out of the water.

A third data point:

If I'm listening to music on foobar 2000 and switch to the camera app, the playback pauses. This doesn't happen with the native Music app. I don't know if this is relevant, but you have to hit play/pause three times to get it going again: once from pause (play icon), once from play (pause icon) and a third time for the playback with the play icon (which naturally changes to a pause one immediately, as it should)

Hope any of this is useful!

Administrator

Thanks for the bug report.

Which method of transferring music did you use to transfer your music tracks that refuse to play with the device locked? FTP server, TuneFUSION, iTunes file sharing or other? What if you transfer the music files again using other means?

From the description it sounds like iOS encryption kicking in and locking access to files with the device locked - except foobar2000 mobile doesn't encrypt files and doesn't even have the encryption feature enabled in app capabilities.

A fix for the playback interruption when using Camera app will be available shortly.

Administrator

Version 1.1.56 (in beta) contains fixes for the iOS 13 issues I could recreate.

Sadly I have not been able to trigger anything close to the "Access denied" error.
    It seems as if file encryption was enabled and foobar2000 was being locked out of its own files while the device was locked - except it's not technically possible to do unintentionally - the feature isn't even enabled in app manifest and cannot even be switched on without changing app permissions in Apple developer portal.

Administrator

Problem reproduced in-lab.

Apparently transferring files via AirDrop causes them to be encrypted and unavailable when the device locked.

A workaround is coming up shortly. Until then, using other means to transfer your files mitigates this.