Thread: Translation support

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Translation support

Since this particular project will be incorporating any "components" and decoders and settings into itself, as two out of the three marketplaces will not support user supplied code, it should be considerably easier to support a centralized translation system for the player. It should also support translation of strings within skins, since those can supply their own labels and such.

Officially included translations may even be worth the translator being compensated for their work being included in the product, or at least this may be motivation for high quality translations. I hear the going rates are in the N cents per word, depending on the language, and possibly the complexity of the text. I've also seen N dollars per thousands of words, but that's only for serious bulk translation. I can't actually make any statements about compensation, since I don't handle the finances, I'm just making the suggestion.

Feedback is welcome, since if we do this, we'll only be doing the backend code for the translation system. And maybe Polish translation, if Peter doesn't feel that translating everything to that makes him gag or something.

Re: Translation support

That's definitely one thing that would make it more personal and desirable.
    Languages on Android apps are sometimes a hit and miss thing, especially if they rely on the phone's selected language. For example, I have facebook, which supports Spanish, but since my phone is configured in Catalan, i see it in english (and it does not have a language selector). I don't mind it (because i understand both quite well), but for other members of my family it means having the phone in Spanish.

So going back to foobar2000, I would consider translating it to catalan, and to spanish if it is needed. (I've made catalan translations of universal media server and Mixxx DJ software)

I'd be glad to help with the translation, guys (I could help with spanish). I'd suggest you to use some localisation system like "Transifex" to make it easier for everybody.

So the statement from foobar2000's FAQ may be about to be changed?

foobar2000 does not support any kind of translations.
    I would like to contribute to a German translation.

Will this plans be addressed in the near future?