Thread: Playing songs by folder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Playing songs by folder

Am I crazy or my wish got deleted? (I guess providing a competing product as an example was not a great idea)

I organize my music by folders/genre/artist/albums/*.mp3, *.flac, etc...

I couldn't find a way to play an actual folder. The only thing available is to browse it (browse down one level)

I'm hoping to have a button to play a folder... The action would be to do a recursive search from that folder and allow you to play all files included in the tree.
    (play order features: chronological, alphabetical, shuffled, once, looped, etc...)

Foobar2000 is all I use on my PCs since ages.
    Dragging a folder in the interface creates a play list with all the files included in the tree. Please add something similar in the mobile version.

THANKS

Re: Playing songs by folder

Lodging this as a "Play Folder" context menu action, which traverses the full depth from the selected folder. Last I checked, and I'm just guessing here, but the current track playing mechanism adds the current folder, or current Media Library category view as a temporary playlist. This should probably be amended to support contextually adding an entire category or folder and all nested results. Of course, how to sort these items?

There really needs to be a playlist view, too. At least if there's going to be a way to view the results of user navigation, and maybe sort or reorder on device.

Quote Originally Posted by kode54 View Post
    Lodging this as a "Play Folder" context menu action, which traverses the full depth from the selected folder. Last I checked, and I'm just guessing here, but the current track playing mechanism adds the current folder, or current Media Library category view as a temporary playlist. This should probably be amended to support contextually adding an entire category or folder and all nested results. Of course, how to sort these items?

There really needs to be a playlist view, too. At least if there's going to be a way to view the results of user navigation, and maybe sort or reorder on device.
    That's a good start for the thinking process :-)
    "Of course, how to sort these items?"

User defined:
    File property based: chronological, alphabetical, shuffled, etc...
    Tag Based: Artist, Genre, Album, Year, bla bla bla, you know the drill.

:-)

Every built-in music player does the dumb recursive file scan and add every tags in a fat library.

Side note on Tag Based and years. Would be nice to enter a range if not already there?
    To play 80's song... allow user to select 1980 to 1989.

Thanks!!!!!!!

If you go to the advanced search and select year, you will see that there is already grouping by decades.

In the current design, if it isn't in the "Media Library" path(s?), then its tags won't be scanned until you actually play it.