Thread: Will the phone design functionality change to match modern design?

Will the phone design functionality change to match modern design?

To be honest, in terms of aesthetics the apps in its current state really look ugly, but that is actually not my point in my thread here. I rather like to loose some words on the phone design functionality you've defined one year ago in a special thread. So far there are several problematic points i see:

• The design doesn't match the guidelines of the certain os. Neither the design principles of material design is used in the android app nor the Windows app doesn't look like a typical Windows 10 universal app.
    • On larger Screens (tablet or pc) just full-blown Smartphone app appears. It is absolutely not optimized for screens larger than that ones on phones. On the contrary on each os you can design apps with a navigation drawer placed on the side of the app.
    • In each os according to the design Guidelines there are so many ui-elements that define and improve the user-experience and by that also automatically gives an aesthetical pleasant look.

Since you have introduced a skin engine i fear you indeed are planning to keep that outdated concept of Skins rather than offering a fresh and modern design of your apps.

Re: Will the phone design functionality change to match modern design?

I really mean that mobile fooobar2000s UI has to be changed:

1. In terms of aesthetic it has the horrible charme of an 8 years old app. If foobar2000 is meant to compete with other players or at least to provide someday a paid version with exclusive features it HAS TO use a modern UI that ideally matches the ui design standards of the OS it runs on (material design f.e. for android, ...). It would be a shame not to take the chance to reach the level of such players like "poweramp" and others - just for one simple reason: it is definetely better than them in the sense of capabilitys and features. But they have to be provided in a pleasant manner.

2. foobar2000 mobiles another weak point in relation to UI is: not only the aesthetics is horrible but also the user-experience at many points. Just a few examples:
    - many features/options are hidden in preferences
    - there is no opportunity to sort the lists inside library by an obvious button. Rather than that the list of view is bloated with some views that are defined by random sort order.
    - no tablet ui
    - and so on, and so on

If you like i am definetely willing to put some efforts into some systematic thoughts how a good ui (related to user experience mainly) might look without breaking the basic principles of how it is already designed. Take the chance!

Im new here so hesitant to step in ... but ...
    I'm not clear who the target user is. I can see some virtues in the current design aesthetic, dated though it may look, it is simple and no nonsense. I cant really comment yet on the menu organisation other than, as a newbie, to agree its not the most intuitive that Ive seen.
    More specific suggestions would depend on the answer to that question about the audience. There are things that could probably be done easily to give a slightly more modern feel without going all in on fancy images and effects.
    But I have the impression that this app is aimed at least at first level if not second level Geeks (example: the need to have or know how to get, and how to use, an FTP client in order to download tracks from PC without going the iTunes route).
    A related item would be a "Getting started" and also real "Help" in the App. Currently Help just takes you to the App store (marginally redundant as the app has already been downloaded!) or the Forum by one route or the other.

My main point of comparison is iPeng which I have (but that is really intended to work with Logitech Squeezebox / Media server etc). Foobar seems one of the better ways to manage non iTunes content on the device.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardFlack View Post
    I can see some virtues in the current design aesthetic, dated though it may look, it is simple and no nonsense.
    To bring it on point: It absolutely doesn't match the ui of the os and therefore doesn't offer the user experience you would expect. The best about foobar2k for desktop ist that it matches the windows ui and standards. In some aspects fb2k mobile appears headstrong and comical.

But I have the impression that this app is aimed at least at first level if not second level Geeks
    I am not sure. Fb2ks guideline also was: "Make normal things simple and complex things possible". As far as i can estimate its approach never was to be a player for the geeks, especially when you mirror the devolopment beginning wit foobar2000 0.9. But even if it was for the geeks and nerds: Does it has to be unnecessarely strange and has to look like from the last decade because of that?

A related item would be a "Getting started" and also real "Help" in the App
    There are so many apps which are usable without starting with a tutorial. Just a simple and boring implementation of material design which the most android audio players have and even without any creative own contribution in design would help to improve fb2k mobile and to push its popularity.

I am really irritated why nothing is done or at least said in that regard.
    Last edited by q-stankovic; November 4th, 2018 at 05:34 AM.