Thread: Linux and OS X Version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Linux and OS X Version

Hello everyone!

I just thought it would be kind of cool to discuss a port of foobar2000 to Linux and OS X (BSD). I personally find the media players available on these platforms to be lacking in several areas, and feel foobar2k can do a much better job than the competition in filling these gaps. I love foobar because it is clean cut, lean, and expandable. I would love to use it on my MacBook and on my box running Arch.

Thanks!

Re: Linux and OS X Version

Yeah I agree. Foobar on all platforms would be awesome, as unrealistic as that may be. I have tried to use various linux distros in attempts to ditch Windows and I don't like any of the music players on Linux. I'm not going to run Foobar in Wine either (if that even works).

I don't use OS X, but the tightly controlled environment similar to Windows should allow developers to write and maintain software over years of OS versions quite easily.

Apparently Linux is another story.

Here's a good read about the state of Linux as a desktop computer (meaning for home user rather than used as server which it is actually good at):

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...p.current.html

For me that article is a revelation. There may still be hope though. If Valve's Steam OS can get enough of the gamers from Windows to jump ship, then even more games developers and eventually developers for other software may write software for Linux. Software quality may raise. Then maybe Linux as a desktop computer can mature to levels higher than "hobby OS."

But yeah I'm all for Foobar on everything lol.

Thank you Lethal_Logan for your reply! I have seen that article before, and I will have to agree with you--Linux has a ways to go before it is completely user friendly to the "average joe" computer user. Even so, I feel the main user base (or the target market) of foobar2k is the hobbyist user, in which case a Linux/ OS X version would be very welcome.

On OS X, the only audio player I've found to be anywhere close to foobar2k in terms of quality audio playback is called "Vox". However, it lacks customization, a built in ID3 tag editor, visualizations, and many other "killer" features. If you want to check it out, It is free on the Mac app store.

On another note, I have the same wish as you: I really hope the corporate backing from Valve and their partners help move Linux more into the spotlight. It would be amazing to run Linux as my main production OS.

Yes please,

I've been waiting for an OSX version for years!

A Linux version would be AMAZING. From what I understand right now the thing preventing fb2K from going to open source is the audio core; I don't know how easy it would be to use a alternative audio core for Linux, but that might make it easier to port to Linux.

I've been using fb2k for many years, and still stay with it under Wine while looking for a decent native player, so I've backed the campaign mostly for old times' sake.

A Linux port would be the number one priority, as far as I'm concerned.