Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux and OS X Version

Administrator

Re: Linux and OS X Version

I'm aware of the demand for Linux and OSX ports and I'm glad to hear your positive feedback.

I cannot give any definitive statements about either port right now, but after foobar2000 mobile is complete, we'll put OSX and Linux into consideration.

I remembered that core implementations too relying to Windows is the main reason why no Linux and OS X ports.

As the core component is being rewritten, I think there's less blockades towards a true cross-platform player.

Keep up the good work!

I have no clue of programming so forgive if it is a stupid question: if fb2k would be ported to OS X and Linux, is there a way that 3rd-party developer don't need to write their components from the scratch but "just" make some minimal changes for adapting?

Quote Originally Posted by q-stankovic View Post
    I have no clue of programming so forgive if it is a stupid question: if fb2k would be ported to OS X and Linux, is there a way that 3rd-party developer don't need to write their components from the scratch but "just" make some minimal changes for adapting?
    Since 1.0 only managed to push up abstraction to using WTL instead of Win32 directly, it looks like much more abstraction is in order, or else every single platform is going to become an *ifdef nightmare. Not forgetting that OS X will probably be 64 bit only, as 10.7 guarantees that will be supported. While Linux will likely have to support both 32 and 64 bit builds. Which means components built for three more platforms.

Never mind that this new version is breaking API compatibility completely with 1.x, so even Windows components will need to be reworked and rebuilt to be usable.

Edit: What in the everloving ****? This forum won't let me type a pound sign character and keeps turning it into asterisks.

Quote Originally Posted by kode54 View Post
    Never mind that this new version is breaking API compatibility completely with 1.x, so even Windows components will need to be reworked and rebuilt to be usable.
    I am not sure what that means: will the windows desktop player be rewritten too at some point?

The playground that is becoming the mobile player's core started as a rewrite of the Windows version. It was not shared with anyone, and now all work is progressing on iOS porting for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I'm aware of the demand for Linux and OSX ports and I'm glad to hear your positive feedback.

I cannot give any definitive statements about either port right now, but after foobar2000 mobile is complete, we'll put OSX and Linux into consideration.
    Thank you very much Peter for your reply. Your communication and work is much appreciated! I'm looking look forward to a cross platform, powerful, sleek app!

Hello,
    Will the OSX version be able to run an a LINUX system? will it be open-source? Please excuse me if these questions are basics but I am new to the LINUX world and not familiare at all with the Apple world. And would very much like to get a LINUX version.

If there is at least a cloud server for Linux I'd be happy (assuming we can host our own cloud services). A linux player would be really great as on my laptop I'm stuck with Audacious, where while it's a nice player it's no foobar2000.

Quote Originally Posted by laykun View Post
    If there is at least a cloud server for Linux I'd be happy (assuming we can host our own cloud services). A linux player would be really great as on my laptop I'm stuck with Audacious, where while it's a nice player it's no foobar2000.
    I've found Quod Libet to be the best player/tagger on Linux. It takes a little getting used to (because it's extremely free-form), but it's the best Linux alternative to Foobar.