Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What features from the desktop version would you like to see make the transition?

What features from the desktop version would you like to see make the transition?

I would suggest people try to state their desired features/ideas/concepts and so on, in a comprehensible manner. Here are mine:

• Shuffle Album - A feature lacking from most mobile music players, and one of my personal favorites from the original foobar2000
    • Customizability - For me, this seems to be the whole idea of foobar2000 and I hope the mobile app will also present endless possibilities

I could have added more, but I didn't want to be greedy :P

Re: What features from the desktop version would you like to see make the transition?

I believe the developers have already stated ReplayGain on the main page. But I'll mention it again for emphasis. ReplayGain alone is the main reason I use Foobar2000. All the other stuff is just icing on the cake. Lightweight, customizability, powerful tagging, equalizer. Is there even a feature Foobar doesn't have?

But if Foobar did not have ReplayGain I would not use it, well at least not for listening to music as I dislike fiddling with volume controls. It is the first thing I look for when I'm trying out music players since you can quickly narrow down the good music players.

There is at least one open source music player with various clones on the Google Play Store that claims to have ReplayGain, but it only works for certain audio formats. Also the current biggest music player app on the Google Play Store does have ReplayGain support.

Re: What features from the desktop version would you like to see make the transition?

UPnP/DLNA support would be pretty awesome, even if it's just as a controller. Server/renderer would be great too.
    With the (relatively) limited memory on mobile devices, i've started streaming FLAC over the LAN to all my devices.

Plugins, plain and simple. One player to rule them all!

That and the customizability, namely the custom playlist tables.

I have a huge live music collection. No portable player I've seen supports live music recordings, although some support gapless playback (none flawlessly). I would like to see the Live Music Tagger plugin become an integrated, easy-to-use feature of the mobile version. This would include an easier to access auto-number function and the ability to directly access the info.txt file for editing and tagging.

I'm a professional user interface designer with over 20 years' experience. I'd be happy to contribute ideas and sketches for how to make this work on a mobile device.

I'm not sure if it is possible but it'd be great if the desktop plugins were compatible with the mobile versions, but if not, porting over a few of the most popular plugins would be great. (Plugins aka Components.)
    Last edited by Dan; April 19th, 2014 at 05:53 AM.

As most of the mobile architectures aren't even x86 compatible, all components would need to be ported, assuming they are supported in the first place. All GUI code would also need to be gutted, as none of the platforms are Win32 compatible, and you wouldn't want desktop UI on a mobile device anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kode54 View Post
    As most of the mobile architectures aren't even x86 compatible, all components would need to be ported, assuming they are supported in the first place. All GUI code would also need to be gutted, as none of the platforms are Win32 compatible, and you wouldn't want desktop UI on a mobile device anyway.
    Does this mean you guys will inventory the features of the current components and decide which features will be done in native code, or have you already settled on a basic feature set for the Alpha?

Once again, I think it's important to support the community of users that download live shows from dimeadozen.org and etree.org. The desktop fb2k is the only player that does, and that support could be a real differentiator for the mobile version.

Maybe I should keep out of this for now.

Administrator

Certain platforms such as iOS cannot have externally added components, the application has to be a whole single item, it is then verified by Apple (skins are not classed as a component).

It is likely we will choose the components which are most suited to mobile and implement them.