Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing or importing m3u-playlists created on the PC

Playing or importing m3u-playlists created on the PC

Hi,
    for a long time I have been looking for a WP music player (running WP 10 on a Lumia 950 with all music stored on the SD card) that is able to read (or import) m3u playlists that I created on my PC (much more comfortable if you're having a huge library with several hundred album folders and thousands of tracks). By now it seems that only FB2k (my favourite on the PC as well) is able to at least read and play the m3u's stored in the "Music" folder. And here is my problem: To get to these playlists in the "Device's Music Library" I have to scroll past several hundred album folders every time since the files (m3u playlists in this case) are displayed only after the folders. Once there, the playlist works fine, but the handling is very uncomfortable.
    Placing the playlists in a separate folder (e.g. "01 Playlists" to get them on the top of the folder list) doesn't work either: The files are either not recognised or (when I include the full absolute path with "D:\Music\Album xyz..." in the m3u) get an "access denied" error by the system.
    An extra functionality (e.g. menu) to organise the otherwise hard-to-reach playlists would be a huge improvement. Are there any plans tro implement these in the foreseeable future?

Or is this (or something to that effect) already implemented and I am looking at the wrong place? If so, I'd be hugely grateful for a hint in the right direction

Thanks
    WP_FB2k

Re: Playing or importing m3u-playlists created on the PC

Hi,
    I saw the inclusion of playlists in today's update which is really great. I see how new playlists can be created and songs and/or albums added to it. Importing pre-existing playlists is another matter though. Though the development blog says this is possible, I haven't found the right way to do it yet. Any (short) hint how to do that would be really appreciated

Thanks
    WP_FB2k

Administrator

The playlist files must contain relative paths to your music files, ones that resolve correctly on your phone. On Windows devices, use "" back slashes to delimit folders, on non Windows devices we allow either style of slashes.

For an example (Windows or Android):

If your music is in:
    <SD card> / Music
    And your playlists are in:
    <SD card> / Playlists
    You need to refer to your music files as:
    ../Music/foldername/track.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The playlist files must contain relative paths to your music files, ones that resolve correctly on your phone. On Windows devices, use "" back slashes to delimit folders, on non Windows devices we allow either style of slashes.
    Yep, I have done that. Previously, I had the playlist files in the "Music" folder and they played fine after the aforementioned scrolling in the "Device's Music Folder" and starting them manually.

My more precise question is how do I tell the App where it should look for a pre-existing m3u-playlist and import/show that in the "Playlist" section of the App? By now it is not importing anything automatically, and in the playlist section I only find the option to create a new (empty) playlist from scratch. Tapping and holding the pre-existing playlist(s) produces no further options beyond playing the list (if selected manually in its folder). Is it necessary to place the playlists in a specific folder which is scannned by default by the App?

Sorry if I missed anything obvious...

Thanks
    WP_FB2k

Quote Originally Posted by WP_FB2k View Post
    here is my problem: To get to these playlists in the "Device's Music Library" I have to scroll past several hundred album folders every time since the files (m3u playlists in this case) are displayed only after the folders. Once there, the playlist works fine, but the handling is very uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by WP_FB2k View Post
    Tapping and holding the pre-existing playlist(s) produces no further options beyond playing the list (if selected manually in its folder).
    We really do need a way to convert/send .m3u playlists to native playlists on the home/browse screen. Having to scroll past all those folders in the documents folder is a bit cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by screamingtrees2 View Post
    We really do need a way to convert/send .m3u playlists to native playlists on the home/browse screen. Having to scroll past all those folders in the documents folder is a bit cumbersome.
    From what I have learned from the replies so far and experimenting with the app, it is currently not able to import pre-existing m3u-playlists into its own "Playlists" section. But as already said, it *is* able to play such playlists manually - which is already much more than all the other music player apps for WP that I have tested.
    But there is also a workaround for the problem (at least it works for Windows Phone):
    1. Edit your playlists on the PC so that they are named according to the following scheme (without quotation marks): "..\Music\FolderName\TrackName.mp3" where 'Music' is your Music folder name on the phone, 'FolderName' the name of the album folder and 'TrackName' the name of the individual music file. Please note that the two dots at the beginning are important to include.
    2. Create a subfolder in your 'Music' folder and choose a name which places it before all the others in regular alphanumeric sorting (e.g. "001 Playlists"). Paste all the lists edited in step 1 here.
    3. Browse to the "Device's Music Folder" in the app. Now your playlist folder is at the beginning and you don't have to scroll through all the album folders. Choose it and play any list you like.

Of course, as with all workarounds, it doesn't remove the cause of the problem, but it avoids its worst effects (the uncomfortable use) until the app can import such pre-existing playlists and list them in the "Playlists" section.

EDIT: The method above works only if the playlists are in a folder on the same level as the "Music" folder. In that case you won't find it in the "Device's Music Folder". Perhaps a "..\.." instead of a simple ".." at the beginning of the line works if your playlist folder is a subfolder below the "Music" folder. I'll have to try that... :/
    Last edited by WP_FB2k; October 19th, 2016 at 04:56 PM.

I just tried the syntax with the "..\.." mentioned in the previous post. On WP (Lumia 950, v.10) it works. So at least there is a functioning workaround for the problem until FB2k is able to genuinely import the playlists into its PL section.

Here is my working method for making playlists on my PC and copying them to my Galaxy S5. All music files (about 1300) are on my MicroSD card that is in my phone. My playlist files are in the same folder as the music files. I could not get it to work when I placed the playlist files in a separate folder.

I edited out ONLY the path information from the playlist files. Each playlist file only contains a list of the names of the music files.
    Example:
    Above & Beyond - Treasure.mp3
    Above & Beyond - Piece of Mind.mp3

My music folder name on the card is Galaxy S5 Music

In the "Settings" menu in foobar2000 under "Media Library" I added the above folder to the "Music folders". I did not add a playlist folder.

I ran foobar200. In the "Browse" menu is shows my playlists location as :

Playlists[Galaxy S5 Music on External Storage]

I select this option and it lists my playlists. Choose one and go........

I would really like to have my playlists in a separate folder. I made several modifications to the "path" of the music files in the playlist file but I continued to get errors. I will post a solution if I can get that to work.

I hope this helps someone.

Update

I did have to add a playlist folder in the "Media Library". To "Playlist folders" I added the same music file folder......."Galaxy S5 Music"

The "Galaxy S5 Music" folder on my MicroSD contains both my music files and my edited playlist files.

Question Re: Playing or importing m3u-playlists created on the PC

Hello,

I've been browsing the forum in the hope of figuring out how to import playlist files onto iPhone, but found nothing. Since this seems to be a thread that fits my question the most...

Is it even possible to import a playlist on iPhone, which doesn't really do open file management or SD cards? If you have ~1000 tracks and want to make, say, 10 playlists, each with 200 tracks, it is a nightmare.

Thank you for your time.