title

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Development blog

Administrator

Re: Development blog

Beta version 1.0.84 for Android and iOS is being posted.

Changes:
    • Android: Added experimental Android TV support
    • Android: Improved notification appearance, on Android 7.x in particular
    • Android: Menu button for playback screen menu works again
    • Android: Prevented certain playback control key events from being registered twice
    • Android: Fixed MediaSession interop bugs - better interop with Android Autio / AnyAutoAudio, bluetooth speakers, etc.
    • All: Right-to-left language display fixes
    • All: Various crash bugs fixed

Administrator

Version 1.0.83 (public) for Android is being rolled out. Same change log as 1.0.84.

Administrator

Now, Windows....
    I see the MS store version is a total mess, last update got rejected (missing privacy policy URL) and we did not notice until just now.

I am scratching the separate beta line for now. Lite version gets full beta features from now on.
    Their store is a great <censored> to work with, and the dev chain sucks, insanely slow rebuilds.

At least the Win Phone 8.1 version stays (and gets updated if I get them to accept new package, meh).

I've been trying to build and post the Windows version for the last 3 hours, without much success, unless lines of rants and MS jokes on IRC are the measure of success.

Administrator

1.0.83 for Windows pulled due to apparent regressions. Currently the downloads are unavailable to prevent existing users from getting a bugged build. We'll be back shortly when I've tested everything properly.

Administrator

1.0.85 for Windows has been submitted and is currently awaiting certification.

Skins now *do* load on Windows Phone 8.1.
    Cycling skins no longer leaves leftover bitmaps from the previous skin in active pages.
    foobar2000 private music folder is indexed again like it should.

Administrator

Windows Phone 8.1 package has been updated, regression with skin picker not working is now gone.

Version 1.0.86 (beta) for Android has been posted. Various crashes reported via Google Play have been addressed.

Edit: For now Android betas are arm64 and armv7a only, no old ARM or x86 as practically nobody uses those.

Administrator

Well it's time for some Windows development rants.

I got fb2k running in Windows Phone 8.1 emulator the last week. Yes, JUST LAST WEEK, after two years of development.
    Initially I presumed the emulator was broken as I could not come up with a way to copy music to the emulated device and there was no apparent network connectivity.
    As it turns out, Windows Phone emulator comes with a Special Snowflake edition of WinSock stack, their select() fails on empty but not null fd_set, effectively making all of my async network code unusable.
    Now that I do not have to rely on ridiculously bugged Windows Phone 8.1 on-device debugging, I got some actual work done, added missing features such as add-any-folder in Media Library settings.

Next subject, updating the Windows 10 app to new background playback semantics introduced in 1607. According to the friendly github page with samples, all you have to do is flip the flag and all apps playing audio magically gain the privilege of running indefinitely in background, iOS style, right?
    HAHA. WRONG.
    The github page contains harmful misinformation. If you do exactly what they tell you and nothing more, you end with an app that suspends playback when minimized. Initializing System Media Transport Controls appears to be mandatory in order to continue running. Cue rant about how it's hard to verify if your SMTC calls are coming thru over Remote Desktop, but OK, eventually got there.
    The final insult is, if you run the goddamn app with debugger attached, background music playback doesn't prevent device sleep! Locking MS Surface screen using the button suspends the app. Wasted good part of my work day trying to work around it, when I finally realized that the same app works correctly if there's no debugger attached.

At this point I'm trying to nail the remaining issues with the Windows port and then I intend to leave it as-is, only fix reported bugs but not add new features. And reallocate my resources to other ports.

Administrator

Follow up rant.

The Windows Phone/Universal port of fb2k mobile is working pretty decently now - except for lockscreen controls ("Universal Volume Control") on Windows Phone 10 (Lumia 640XL). The same thing works fine on my MS Surface.
    Apparently the only way to get SystemMediaTransportControls API to do anything useful on a phone is to have a MediaPlayer object playing something. The sample app works only if its MediaPlayer object is doing something; otherwise calls to SMTC are ignored.

I am pretty sure that nobody at Microsoft ever attempted writing a proper custom ( = own decoders + XAudio/WASAPI output ) music player app for WinRT/UWP/whatever-they-call-it-now. Or perhaps they did but ran away screaming after having uncovered an asston of bugs preventing things from working properly.

Administrator

Ver 1.0.87 for Android has been posted.

"Lite" mode is gone, full features are now enabled in non beta builds.

There have been complaints about the last update being unable to access SD cards and such. This is a side effect of upgrading to the latest Android SDK on my end - however I did not observe such loss of privileges on any of my devices.
    The new version now checks for mass storage access permissions on startup and fires a prompt if necessary.

Edit: iOS 1.0.87 update in progress as well. Minor fixes + enabled full features in the public build.
    Last edited by Peter; July 27th, 2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: iOS

Administrator

Starting from the next update, separate beta and public builds are gone entirely on all platforms - there will be no special indication of running a beta build.

For the benefit of all our users, the beta testers will get each new build before everyone else does - and once the build was proven worthy by the beta testers, it will be pushed to everyone else.

This way, the chance of everyone getting a build with severe regressions will be minimal - as most people have no way to revert to an older version.