Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phone Design Functionality Proposal 1

Re: Phone Design Functionality Proposal 1

Quote Originally Posted by kaum View Post
    I am watching too many videos where I rather mute than pause
    That's okay, this isn't going to be a video player anyway.

I've tried to interpret the browser page and some of the arrows. Do you plan that on each level of browsing (genre -> artist -> album f.e.) the whole content is displayed as tracklist? If yes, what does the arrow to the right of the tracks mean?
    Last edited by q-stankovic; August 6th, 2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added last question

Administrator

The arrow adds the folder content or a track, or album to the playlist.

The browsing would be similar to how Asset (a upnp server) handles browsing, it works as you would expect, track listing or album listing at the right moments.

(the following thoughts are inspired by the widely used panorama/pivot ui-function in windows phone apps)

The phone design proposal shows that you could be able to swipe between the three main pages. That reminds of the music hub that comes with several apps and also with the new xbox music app. But as it seems in the proposal you could swipe between the three main pages even if you has navigated from one page, mainly the browser page, some levels deeper. In that case all possibilities and advantages are lost which are known from windows phone apps where this panorama and pivot function is placed on several places of the app. In the next sentences i would like to combine the description of the advantages with some general requests in regard to the phone design and further functionality.

Let's say you start browsing your library from the browser page that offers several views in form of a list and you go from a genre view down to the listing of genres and then from here to Hip-Hop where you will find a subset of your library. In the concept of first phone design proposal (as far as i understood it correctly) you still can swipe to playback and playlist page from that point of browser. Exactly here let me ask for three features i consider as useful and amazing:

1) Spoon wrote that on some level of browsing it will be displayed what is mostly expected by the user. And now it is indeed the question what a user would expect. I think there are three basic entities of a library that each user could and would expect: album artist, album and tracks. To continue with the example from above: wouldn't it be useful after choosing Hi-Hop as genre that all three entities would be listed? These three lists could be organized in a panaroma view from which you can swipe from one list to another: a list of all Hip-Hop artists, all Hip-Hop albums and all Hip-Hop tracks. A nice addition would be now to have the ability to sort all the lists by meaningful critera, f.e. alphabetically, by number of playcount or whatever else.

2) Not only that you would have a powerful library by using panoramas, but you also could use that to introduce advanced shuffling playback that i so far have only experienced in poweramp, an popular android music player. An example: Let's say you are in an album page from where you can start playback - in normal mode the playback goes through the sorted albums and plays the tracks in its origin order. But is also imaginable to offer different playback modes: shuffle albums and keep origin order of tracks; shuffle tracks and keep origin order of tracks; shuffle albums and tracks. Another example: you have choosen Jazz as genre and you swipe to the tracks page - from here you sort tracks and pla them in that order. But you also could start a shuffled playback that plays all Jazz tracks in shuffled/random order.

3) A further advantage of a panorama is that you also could add pages that displays some meaningful information related to the level you have reached. F.e. many apps in windows phone (when you have entered the area of one certain artist) not only show
    the albums and songs of an artist but also artist related info like: biography, similar artists, artist images. These are as far as i know free available by a service like echonest.

Ok, these are just some thoughts basing of experiences in the windows phone universe and its apps. As long as the starting hub of three main pages is small (three pages only) i think a button from which you can come to the root from where you have started is enough. Maybe an additional button could be useful which jumps directly to playback page.

I hope for some feedback. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by q-stankovic; August 10th, 2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: corrections/added another example in text

Administrator

I think we are both reading from the same page...

means?

it's an idiom. When people are reading from the same page, they say the same things in public about an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by playhouse View Post
    On Android, it really doesn't make too much sense to have a volume slider at all. Pretty much every device has a hardware volume rocker. Once you press the rocker, a volume slider is superimposed over the current screen.
    Having a volume slider might be useful if the hardware buttons can be remapped as skip buttons (no clue if that is a planned feature or not though).

Quote Originally Posted by Qndrez View Post
    Having a volume slider might be useful if the hardware buttons can be remapped as skip buttons (no clue if that is a planned feature or not though).
    On an iPhone, the skip functionality (forward only, I think) is on the headphone button control. Although any type can be used on iPhone, most people probably use headphones with the Apple-style button control. That said, I'd be in favor of adding skip functionality to the volume controls on the phone (maybe pressing both buttons simultaneously).

Quote Originally Posted by Qndrez View Post
    and for those that don't realize they have volume buttons on their phones.