Thread: Universal app on Windows devices?

Universal app on Windows devices?

Will the Windows phone and Windows Store apps be universal apps or will the development be entirely separate?

I ask this because with a universal app the two could share a fair bit of code. It probably also would be fairly easy to make an Xbox One app if the time comes.
    If you put in settings sync or even state sync (now playing etc.) you could have a fairly fluid experience from device to device.

Administrator

Re: Universal app on Windows devices?

It will be universal app.

^does that mean foobar2000 desktop will be updated to work on windows 10, and therefore work on windows phone 10?

regular fb2k works fine on windows 10 desktop.

I made a thread about it on the regular foobar forum at hydrogen audio. foobar2000 will only work on windows 10 desktop. a new foobar app will have to be developed for the universal app feature. the mobile app for windows phone that's currently in the works should/will be that version.

Administrator

Current status:
    I started off with Windows 8 Universal App template which creates separate Windows Store and Windows Phone apps. Windows Phone is progressing nicely.
    However Windows 8 "Windows Store app" looks problematic - we need Windows Sockets (WinSock) for UPnP and networking in general, Microsoft claims that WinSock API is supported for Windows Store apps, but latest SDK that comes with VS2015 preview disagrees with that - whole WinSock2.h content is marked "desktop apps only".
    I just checked and there is no such issue in Windows 10 Universal App development kit, so we can use it in the future without issues that I can see at this time.

Summarizing:
    We're targeting Windows Phone 8 as planned. We'll move to a Windows 10 Universal App once Windows 10 is widely available, Windows 8 Store app currently not planned (due to issue above, which does not affect Windows 10).

Peter, I think this is a wise idea/decision. My guess is that those with Win 8.1 will move on to Win10 quickly - those with Win7 will go directly to Win10 - so the market for Win8 should be very narrow...

You might even think of concentrating on Win10 also on Phones - I know that Win10 mobile will come earliest before christmas (availability on Win8 phones) - so I think marketing wise for you I would go for Win10 (mobile and desktop) first and get the Windows Phone 8.1 app later
    (but maybe the universal app will work on WP8.1 anyway...)

now that the windows 10 universal app is under way, I have a few questions:

* will the universal app sync stats and playlists across all win10 devices?

* will each installation on separate devices be limited to it's own local media library, or can they all sync files from one source?

Administrator

We are not currently committing to syncing at this time.