Thread: Multiple sets of same album are merged

Multiple sets of same album are merged

Foobar is grouping different performances of the same album even though the album artists differ. Track titles of the same opera or symphony are merged into the same album view and I'm unable to listen to them independently. How can I prevent that?

Administrator

Re: Multiple sets of same album are merged

What you are describing should not be happening, sounds like a bug to me. At least if the albums have 'album artist' tags set they should be seen as separate.

If you can share a sample of such albums for me to investigate, it would be most welcome.

Re: Multiple sets of same album are merged

Hi Peter. I'm happy to say this is now resolved. I was using a semicolon as the delimiter in the Album Artist tag. I switched to comma and the albums are displayed correctly.

Here's a glimpse of how the tracks were tagged.

Folder 1: Giuseppe Verdi - Il trovatore [Alberto Erede, 1956]
    Album Title: Il trovatore
    Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
    Artist: Giuseppe Verdi
    Album Artist: Mario Del Monaco; Renata Tebaldi; Giulietta Simionato; Giorgio Tozzi
    Conductor: Alberto Erede
    Track Title: Act 1, Scene 1: All'erta! All'erta!
    Date: 1956

Folder 2: Giuseppe Verdi - Il trovatore [Ferrucio Calusio, 1941]
    Album Title: Il trovatore
    Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
    Artist: Giuseppe Verdi
    Album Artist: Jussi Björling; Norina Greco; Bruna Castagna; Nicola Moscona; Francesco Valentino
    Conductor: Ferrucio Calusio
    Track Title: Act 1, Scene 1: All'erta! All'erta!
    Date: 1941

If I changed the Album Artist of the 2nd track to just Jussi Björling, then Foobar would display 2 Albums. When I added the other artists with a semicolon, the tracks were merged into a single album. I had the thought to change the delimiter and that fixed it.

Thank you.